AVIC411.com

Why would anyone want to disable the safety guards placed on the Avic z1 units. You should not be watching a movie while your driving....similar to not using a cell phone while your driving. Pioneer is wise to place the safety features on the units. It may save your life. Pay attention to driving, and watch dvd's when your parked or at home. Several laws are being proposed to make it illegal to watch movies while driving a motor vehicle, truck, or trackter trailer.

Well the hope is that most people are actually trying to access nav features not watch a movie while they are driving.

Not only does pionner stop you from watching a movie, but it also keeps you from doing a bunch of other stuff.

In NJ and NY (where I live and drive around a lot) it's illegal to drive with your cell phone up to your ear. And pioneer keeps you locked out of your cell phone address book. So if you decide you want to talk to people. Instead of hitting phone book and selecting a name from the list of names (or by hitting voice and giving it voice commands) you have to do something different... that is locked out unless you are sitting still with the parking brake on. You have to dial the number manually from memory either on the avic or on the phone or you have to pick up the phone and look at it and go through the address book in the phone and call from the phone.

Also while me and my wife was on a trip, we had a route planned and while on the highway we wanted to find the closest restaurant at the next exit, and we couldn't do it without pulling over to the side of the road and I had to put the parking brake on. I ended up driving away with the parking brake still on (4 or 5 times).

I tried using the system (not the movies) and pulling over to get to some of the features of the nav and cell phone systems. But it's real annoying.

Some people can make the argument that no matter what I should not be finding address to call while driving. Or I shouldn't be able to hit some of these buttons while driving. But my problem is that if you see what you can get to and hit and push in the AV section, it's ridiculous. You can access and go through every single song on your ipod, you can change sound fields and set radio presets. But you can't do something (which requires less "away from the road" distraction) in the nav part of the unit. It's very inconsistent.

That's why I bypassed my lockouts. Not to watch movies. And not to necessarily do stuff I shouldn't while driving. I'm still an adult and take responsibilities for my actions, but I got sick of applying my parking brake and forgetting to disengage it before driving away. But I don't do anything I deem dangerous while in motion. I will wait till I'm stopped at a light or let my passenger do it.

Mike, what are you a lawyer for Pioneer or something? I think that they shouldn't put features on a machine if they are going to make every attempt to keep you from using them based off of a situation. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions. Then this would all be a mute point.

The safety feature is stupid.

I can understand locking out video, but locking out nav functions while driving is ridiculous. As far as I know, most OEM systems do not lock out the nav functions while the vehicle is moving. On my last trip, it would have been highly inconvenient if my wife were unable to enter new destinations in the nav system while I was driving.

The safety feature is stupid.

I can understand locking out video, but locking out nav functions while driving is ridiculous. As far as I know, most OEM systems do not lock out the nav functions while the vehicle is moving. On my last trip, it would have been highly inconvenient if my wife were unable to enter new destinations in the nav system while I was driving.

EXACTLY! I mean, the discription alone should say it all.... NAV UNIT. WTF kinda navigating are you doing if you cant even.... well.... you cant even navigate!!! Ok sure, you can set a predetermined route in, great, you can see the road ahead of you and turns and blah blah.... fabulous. But, what about the incidentals that come up? We need to find the closest whatever and need to know pretty quickly. Oh, but wait, we have to pull over, apply the brake, and then search. Thats ass...

Most folks could care less about watchin a flick while driving. But, just as was said above, it would be great for my wife to press buttons and find the closest "whatever" on the fly while I drove. Its almost as if Pioneer says "Well, the rest of the world is responsible and can handle it, but Americans are not so they dont get to use the toy to its fullest. So just shutup and color."