AVIC411.com

I had my D3 installed and everything was perfect, for about 2 months, just today the unit died on me.

None of the lights coem on and nothing happens.

But when I put it in reverse the camera comes up? so the unit is powered and the screen works?? But none of the radio features work, except for a milli second when i start the car. it flashes like it tries to turn on, and then just black screen?

I have not loaded anything on the unit ( new screens or backgrounds) I have only did the park brake mod and the mute wire trick. and it was working perfectly for weeks. Nothing changed just today was the first day I used it with it being pretty hot. Any chance it blew a radio fuse or the heat had something to do with it???

thanks

• 1 month later...

Well Actually I got mine form crutchfield, so since it was so recent, Pioneer asked me to go through Crutchfield first, for they would be quicker. And they were. they sent a replacement right away and after it came I sent the old one back. But I think Pioneer was willing to help out if needed be.

sorry to hear that. was it same case? the screen and all functions went dead and the lights just flash when you turn the car on? it was strange my backup camera still worked the whole time But only that..

good luck

Similar, I don't have a backup camera so I can't speak for that. Nothing flashes when it gets power. I can hear the fan running and it will take and eject a disk with a beep when ejecting. No lights at all. I first thought it overheated but I ran the A/C until the unit was cool to the touch. I then took it out of the dash and used a multi meter to verify the power source. Everything was showing power at the Pioneer harness end. I then plugged in the factory radio and it worked fine.

I called Pioneer this morning and the service lady was very rude. She told me to just mail it to them and include a copy of my receipt, description of the problem, and a return address. She didn't even care what was wrong with it. I got the impression that they've been having a lot of issues with these. I'll ship it off tomorrow and hope for the best.

Very strange. Doesn't this sound like a switching issue? OR it could be that it's in video mode.

For those of you that still have yours with this problem, try touching the screen and seeing if anything happens. It could be in video mode, thinking it's supposed to be receiving a signal from somewhere else.

If that doesn't help, try reseting the unit. It's worth a shot before sending it back to Pioneer or asking a mail order supplier for a replacement.

For those of you that still have yours with this problem, try touching the screen and seeing if anything happens. It could be in video mode, thinking it's supposed to be receiving a signal from somewhere else.

If that doesn't help, try reseting the unit. It's worth a shot before sending it back to Pioneer or asking a mail order supplier for a replacement.

I've done all this. I touched the screen, pushed the AV button in to try and switch sources, pushed the reset button multiple times, held the reset button in for 10 seconds put in the Nav disk and reset it. The entire front of the unit is not getting power except the eject button; no lights or response from any of the buttons. I even replaced the 10amp fuse on the back of the unit.

All it does when you plug it in and give it power is: the fan runs and it resets the dvd drive (you can hear this). Nothing appears on the screen. It only make a beep when you hit the eject button.

It worked fine on Sunday and then I jumped in the truck to run to the store Tuesday and it wouldn't do anything.

Nah.. don't buy the warranty. Most things happen in the first 6 weeks anyway. You're covered.

Not true. I swap or repair ALOT of equipment that has failed outside of the manufacturers warranty but is still covered by bb's or cc's extended warranty.

Remember people the automobile is THE WORST environment for electronics. Extreme temp changes, voltage surges, condensation, vibration etc etc etc.

Nah.. don't buy the warranty. Most things happen in the first 6 weeks anyway. You're covered.

Not true. I swap or repair ALOT of equipment that has failed outside of the manufacturers warranty but is still covered by bb's or cc's extended warranty.

Remember people the automobile is THE WORST environment for electronics. Extreme temp changes, voltage surges, condensation, vibration etc etc etc.

If you say so.. but I can only speak from my own experience. I've only had issues within the first 6 months to a year with electronics: automobile and otherwise. Call me lucky, but I don't think that's it.

I still wouldn't reccommend buying a retail extended warranty. The risk just isn't that great. Then again, it depends on the individual and what risks they are willing to take.

Since we're on the topic. Do you mind if we look at this a little closer?

How much is an extended warranty for, say a d3 unit worth about a grand? Also, how much time does it cover and what are the limitations?

I just thought this might be a fun exercise in cost efficiency vs. risk.