AVIC411.com

Couldn't speak to the cost. What it covers is normal wear and tear, Voltage surges, adn heat damage. Also should the system be repaired 3 times on the 4th failure a credit is issued for the purchase price of the covered equipment to purchase a new system.

Also the coverage can be cancelled at any time. A prorated refund is issued from corporate. Length of coverage is either 2 or 4 years.

Ok just got the prices, and holy crap we charge ALOT. 2 years is 199.99 and 4 years is 279.99

EDIT

Just forgot one other thing it covers. The uninstallation and reinstalltion of the system. So say I installed the defective avic. Now since he doesn't have ca on the d3, I'll remove it for free and reinstall the factory radio. He's got to ship the unit out to pioneer. When he gets the system back technically he then must pay a bench test fee and another full priced install. I will say this much very rarely have I done this. In fact between my time at cc and bb, I've done that twice. Only because both customers were complete assholes.

Ok just got the prices, and holy crap we charge ALOT. 2 years is 199.99 and 4 years is 279.99

EDIT

Okay, so based on the average of about $900 for a retail D3, you are giving cc or bb another 20% (or more) for the chance that your quality system and or installation MAY fail in two to five years, assuming it starts after the factory one year warranty ends. Don't forget you're also paying tax, which now brings it past 25% of purchase price.

So if one is really concerned with the lack of quality of such an expensive purchase and wants piece of mind, the risk is better to hold on to the money and insure yourself. That's how I see it. Example:

Instead of giving away your money, you could put $199 in a minimal interest bearing account (say 4.5% ING Orange Savings) and collect interest over that same period of time as your extended warranty applies. Chances are better that your possible repairs won't exceed the price of the system, and you are ahead of the game.

So you get to keep your money and make money on it while you wait for your system to fail. You could also add funds to your savings account and save up for your doomed system to crash. Then, when three years passes, and you are stunned that you haven't had a problem, you have a wad of cash to jet off to Europe with and take a friend with you.

To add to the problem, most of us are bypassing the system to play video while the vehicle is in motion. Therefore, the system warranty and extended warranty respectively are voidable anyway. They can collect your $199 or $279 and never honor the agreement because we have spoiled the installation that they provided (aka we paid for).

Personally, I'd rather use the cash for something else other than to support a retailer that has bet that the system will NOT fail. Instead of betting that the system WILL crash (which is what you are doing when you buy these protection plans), I'll bet along with the retailer that it won't.

But that's just me.

All the labor charges are free because I handle it all.

I see it both ways but Circuit City has a reputation of not upholding the extended warranties that they offer. Their sales associates push them so hard because they make commission off them.

What's bad is that the "extended warranty" offered by BB and CC are roughly 20-25% of the cost of the item yet on new vehicles you can get an "extended warranty" for 4% of the total vehicle cost.

$1000 radio 4yr "extended warranty" $250 25%

$46000 vehicle 6yr/100K "extended warranty" $1800 3.9%

And everyone thinks car salesmen are bad.......

Neither Bestbuy nor Circuit City sales people get any form of commission. The service plans get pushed as hard as they do, because if you don't sell them management pitches a fit. Would you want your boss yelling at you. Kinda sucks, but it's retail for you.

and there you have it. It's an unneccesary program that does nothing but pad the bottom line. Again, they are betting nothing will happen to their merchandise because the product is good, the installers are well trained, and they just got an extra 20% in the bank.

It's sad, but yes that is retail for you. It's why it is important to cost-analyze WHY you would want this program. It makes my blood boil, because they are most successful with uneducated consumers.

On the flip side, there are those with royal and consistent bad luck. If you are prone to things breaking on you for absolutely no reason.. maybe this is a program you would want.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the unit back from Pioneer. They had to replace the screen unit on it. No further detail other than the "Display Assembly" was replaced. I've got it back in and every thing works like new again.

I'm seriously considering a Square Trade warranty on this unit since it's already had the screen replaced in less than 2 months use.