AVIC411.com

Creative Zen with D3

Is there anyway that you guys know of to allow me to watch videos from my Zen on my D3? Audio goes through no problem with a standard male-male headphone plug, but there isn't any video. If I didn't hate iPods I wouldn't be having this problem obviously, but I do so I'm left to "suffer" without the ease of its connectivity.

Any help is much appreciated.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your zen has video out capabilities (I use an ipod so i wouldnt kno...) there is a cord you can buy which fits into your normal head phone jack and has rca outputs... you can find it at your local radioshack in the ipod section but should work for your zen.... you plug those rca's into the harness of you d3 and you've got video you cant plug it into the front aux input on the d3 thats audio only....

if you are having trouble getting one which i doubt you will i have one i have no use for.... if you pay for shipping u could have it

• 8 months later...

im having the creative zen player issue as well with displaying any pictures and or a video/clip from it. I do have the right cables which are connected to the rca input jacks in the back of my d3 to the headphone jack of my player. audio works fine, just nothing gets displayed. i know that there is no creative interface, but i would expect that at least the images or video can show. is there an extra step im missing. appreciate any help

there are options in the system settings that allow you to diplay vide, audio and video and audio, try that look for it under system settings, or input controls,ill try to go mess around with mine to find the root to the option but just play with the settings its in there some where, also if you are trying to watch the vid while actually moving make sure the d3 is bypassed, its on here some where just look for it

you cant plug it into the front aux input on the d3 thats audio only...

Not true. The front input is for audio AND video, you just have to have the right cable. A 4 PIN 3.5mm male to male cable will work for that.

Unfortunately, it seems the zen has a somewhat different pinout setup than most portables, so it might not work for it without some work. You can see here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2006/04/zen-vision-m-video-cable-other-4pole-35mm-pinouts.php that the ground/video/audio channels on the zen is different that with ipods and other sources. So a standart 3.5mm AV cable might not work.

But to hook your Zen to the rear AV inputs, you need a cable like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-Vision-Video-Cable/dp/B000ELSVOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1204231604&sr=1-1 which has the correct pinouts. If you just get a standard 3.5mm to RCA AV cable, it might not work properly due to the non-standard pinout configuration.

thank you for that information...looks like i wasted some money on the cable i got then. I was actually going to order this creative one from creative itself but spotted a similar looking one at walmart (which is actually for the ipod). didnt know that they would actually be different despite how close they resembled in appearance. (it just doesnt have that cylindrical tubing towards the male end as the creative one). i read through some of the comments on that website and thinking what the chances are if i switch the cables around, that it may work. only one way to find out, back soon ...

Yeah, that should work fine, if you look at the pinout diagram in the link I posted you should be able to figure out which cable does what. Or just trial and error, of course.

But for plugging it into the front jack you would have to buy a 3.5mm male to male AV cable and cut and splice the wires to get it to work.

which zen do you have? mine has no flap (zen vision: M). instead i have an adapter to plug in the bottom of the player with multi-ports (usb 2.0, dc in, and a/v out). so wait, i've been using the headphone jack when i was testing with the other cable i have. do you think maybe if i plug into the a/v out instead that it would make a difference??