AVIC411.com

D3/BTB-200 Grounding Question ???

Hey all. Great site!

I'm in the process of re-doing my harnesses on my D3 install in my 2002 Toyota Sequoiaw/ JBL factory upgrade. It's an attempt to get rid of that NASTY squeel/whine/noise...whatever you want to call it. I am just replacing the head unit (w/ Bluetooth) using the factory amp and speakers. I have 4 ground wires to deal with (D3 Ground, BTB200 Bluetooth Module Ground, Parking Brake Sensor wire, and bypass wire). The 1st time, I connected all 4 of these through the factory harness plug. Obviously this was not even close to a sufficient ground, since I have the squeel and am re-doing it.

My plan is to solder them all together with a nice big copper battery ground crimp connector, and attach it to an open spot on the metal support chassis under the dash.

1) Is it better to ground them all in one location, or have multiple points of ground?

2) I may want to install a monoblock amp for a sub in the back of the vehicle down the road. Should I run the amp ground up to the front to the same point as everything else (above), or would it be better to just have an independent ground for the 1 modest amp in the back of the vehicle?

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated before I do this for the 2nd time. I want to try and have the highest probability of getting rid of this issue once and forever!

Thanks in advance.

jan j :?

Thanks cntrylvr79.

I combined all of my grounds (Qty 4) into one Gold plated connector that I had laying around. I crimped it, soldered the wires to the connector, and then attached it to an existing open hole in the chassis behind the dash. I did not use the harness ground at all.

PERFECT...no NASTY squeel/whine/noise in the system whatsoever!

Great site...Great info...Thanks!

jan j

:D

Flame me if you must... but this is the first I've heard of a squeel having to do with bluetooth. I too have a bluetooth module for a D3, and I have a squeel of sorts occasionally, but the installer told me it had something to do with the fact that my factory amp and my D3 are both connected still.

The noise I hear sounds like static in between each button press, and when the unit is on the bluetooth "channel" (for lack of a better term). I think I've heard a squeel or loud beep at times, but I'm not sure when or why.

Can someone elaborate on this for me? I did a quick search and found nothing...

Thanks!

Soooo... the sound file is a short clip of static? I doubt it. Do you mean that it's *trying* to play the file and nothing comes out but static, or do you mean that the static is somehow caused by the sound? Because, sometimes nothing comes out but static. I tend to believe that the static is noise which is amplified to auditory volume because of having both the factory amp and the D3 amp. But, that's just speculation.

And... you're saying there's no fix for this? It happens to everyone, regardless of their setup? Aftermarket/stock/cheap/high-end parts make no difference? If so, how could Pioneer let the D3 out of the factory like that? I think that once I get my Alpine amp reinstalled, it should be better. Too bad I have to disassemble my whole car to put it in...

I had an AVIC-N2 installed in my last car w/ an Alpine 4ch amp and Alpine Type R speakers all around. I never heard the static. It was very crisp, and sounded great.

Now, I have a D3 installed in this car with the factory amp and factory speakers. (just got the car recently) I hear the static after every button push.

I'm not calling you a liar or questioning your knowledge, but I just want to believe that I can get this fixed. Maybe my static is amplified to the point of annoyance, or it's a different static altogether...

Anyway, it's really not that big of a problem to me. I have bigger issues I need to fix. See my post here:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8131

Maybe you have some knowledge of this one?