AVIC411.com

antenna amplifier

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ant amps are really a thing of the past. if you have weak signals I would look at all ant connection. also does your vehicle have glass mounted instead of fender mounted ants. if so then the vehicle usually has and ant module in it that needs to be powered up. I know this to be true of several gm vehicles. in this case you need to hook up the remote wire to turn the mod on.

Agreed. FM on Pioneer is better than most brands. Make sure whoever installed it didn't miss hooking up the remote turn on to a second wire on the ANT

ant amps are really a thing of the past. if you have weak signals I would look at all ant connection. also does your vehicle have glass mounted instead of fender mounted ants. if so then the vehicle usually has and ant module in it that needs to be powered up. I know this to be true of several gm vehicles. in this case you need to hook up the remote wire to turn the mod on.
ant amps are really a thing of the past. if you have weak signals I would look at all ant connection. also does your vehicle have glass mounted instead of fender mounted ants. if so then the vehicle usually has and ant module in it that needs to be powered up.

true, it's more the 'this antenna needs power' than actually requiring an amp. but then, by powering the antenna, the weak signal is amplified so it can be sort of a semantics thing. my car has an in-glass diversity antenna and while I can't make use of the diversity system anymore, I did need an antenna adapter with an in-line 12v power connection.

the powering up of the ant module is not actually powering up an ant amp. it is used to keep the high current voltage separated from the ant signal. it also adds some db gain to the signal. this gain is not the same as trying to amplify a weak static signal. the question is does the AM come in clean but seems to fade in and out or is it all static. on the mustang I would suggest ohming the center lead from end to end, and to check for a shorted center lead to ground ( both ends need to be disconnected for this test). ohm out the shield for a good ground to the shield. also in the mustang I believe there is a lead in cable behind the glove box and I remember seeing this losely connected, make sure it is seated good.