AVIC411.com

D3 Install in Porsche Cayman S

Hi, I recently had a D3 installed in my Porsche Cayman S. Pics of the install are on Caymanclub.net (I use the same username there).

Anyway, there were several problems with the install. Thanks to some of the members here for helping me diagnose the problems.

I'm pretty unhappy with my install shop (Custom Car Stereo in Houston), so here is a copy of the post I left on Caymanclub.

I'm at work now, but will come back with some pics of the install when I get home.

Anyone who's been following the threads about the people getting aftermarket Nav systems installed in their cars has probably seen I had mine done by Custom Car Stereo here in Houston.

After finding YET ANOTHER mistake (and by 'mistake' I mean something they explicitly said they did, yet did not do...). I cannot recommend these guys any longer.

Perhaps I was snowed into justifying my purchase somewhat, as I was initially impressed. However, at the end of the day, they have a consistent pattern of missing deadlines, over-promising and under-delivering on quality. Not to mention charging top dollar for all of it.

I even sent them another customer, and they did very poorly by him as well. I'm sure he won't ask me for advice again.

Now I can't say that they are always terrible, but in my experience, they are 3 for 3 in doing shoddy work for too much money.

If anyone is thinking about using these guys, I'd suggest you email me first, and I'll share the details of my experience.

Well... initially I wanted the trim plate to be a 'plate' and paint matched to the rest of the console. Instead, they made some thing out of fiberglas and covered in a 'vinyl to match the leather'. Well... not what I wanted. Doesn't look 'bad' per se, but I really wanted to retain as STOCK a look as possible. This screams aftermarket.

I take delivery of the car, (4 days late mind you) and it's not even as loud as my factory stereo (and doesn't sound as good). This install included all new JL speakers, JL sub, and 2 JL amps. Should be better than stock. Also, the sub box keeps bumping around the back because it's not secured in any way at all. Finally, I lift the false floor of the front trunk, and the amps are basically 'thrown in there' No secured wires, Amps arent' bolted down - nothing. Basically, just rattling around there. Furthermore, I find (with the help of this forum) that the VSS isn't hooked up, nor is the illumination lead.

Now keep in mind, all of this should be done at any standard shop - but these guys are charging top dollar because they do 'such excellent work'.

So I go in with my laundry list of complaints - and yes, they make it right -- after keeping my car for another 2 days.

Now yesterday, while cleaning the inside of the car, the bluetooth mic comes loose. This made me mad. I found it up between the rearview mirror and the roof. Now for this EXACT reason (mic danging around, etc...) I told them I wanted it in the factory location (or if possible to just 'tap' the factory mic) which is located inside the steering column. When I picked up the car - they assured me that that's where the mic was. Bascially - that was an out and out lie.

After that kind of deception - I've kind of had enough. When you pay as much as I did - everything should be done right and on time THE FIRST TIME. Nevermind the blatant lies.

My radar detector also took 2 trips to get right (and the custom panel there wasn't what I originally wanted either), plus there's the note about my friend who I sent there. (Appears they didn't hook up HIS VSS wire, as he says his nav doesn't place him correctly on map at all).

Seriously - these guys make themselves out as the Premium shop around here. Now, I'm not saying "They suck - never go there." I'm saying my experience was pretty bad, so buyer beware.

swan i dont want to pry into ur finances but how much did they charge for labor?

how much to install the avic and custom "vynll" trim

how much for speaker and amp installs?

let me know and ill tell you if it is on the high side

as far as the amps loose thats just rediculous. nothing should be loose in the car