AVIC411.com

Query from OZ re installing Z1 (HD3 over here) into VW Jetta

Hi All (greetings from oz),

The AVIC-HD3 (Z1 renamed in OZ) was released this month in Oz. I am picking up a new VW Jetta this week and am planning on getting the AVIC-HD3 installed.

Found this forum today and am a bit dismayed to learn that the Z1 has been superseded by the Z2, meaning the HD3 (Z1) is actually outdated as well (I suppose).

Is the Z2 update purely a firmware upgrade, or is there more involved (hardware & firmware) to the update? Can you firmware update the Z1 successfully to the Z2?

Also, if anyone has the Z1 installed in a VW Jetta, how has it been. I have found that the cost of the install does go up a bit when you start adding in can bus interfaces, etc.

Bit dismayed also to read the various issues ppl are having with the Z1. Makes me start thinking about maybe holding off on my purchase.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Yes, it is mostly just a software update, and we are still awaiting the upgrade disks to be released.

How do you know its not the same as a Z2 already (just with Aussie maps)?

Gday bigred,

You know that's a good question. How can I tell if it is a Z2?

geoffp, what year/model is your Jetta? is it a MkV?

yep, MKV (2007) model.

well so far I like mine quite a bit. Sure it has its quirks, but nothing major. It did try to get me to do infinite u-turns the other day to get to a street that wasn't there. that was fun :)

To get it working with your late MkV, you'll need to get the VSS signal from the CAN-BUS. There are at least two interfaces that I know of that can do that. The one I used might be on the market now (I have a beta unit)

This install writeup I did for the vwvortex forums might be useful:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3275461

geoffp, what year/model is your Jetta? is it a MkV?

yep, MKV (2007) model.

well so far I like mine quite a bit. Sure it has its quirks, but nothing major. It did try to get me to do infinite u-turns the other day to get to a street that wasn't there. that was fun :)

To get it working with your late MkV, you'll need to get the VSS signal from the CAN-BUS. There are at least two interfaces that I know of that can do that. The one I used might be on the market now (I have a beta unit)

This install writeup I did for the vwvortex forums might be useful:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3275461

Hi Matt,

I actually dropped into the suppliers (Autobarn) after work yesterday. They had just finished getting the demo wall with the AVIC up and running, so I had a bit of a play with it - seemed pretty darn good actually. Just have to digest the five mile thick manual :lol:

The installers are using the Dietz CAN Bus interface for the steering wheel controls and another Dietz for the speed, plus another interface for the rest of the car. Also getting a car alarm installed, that requires yet another CAN Bus interface.

Will run out of space under the dash I think...

Install is either happening this Friday (if I get the car on Thursday), or next week. Will let you know how it turns out.

Is there anyway to tell if the AVIC-HD3 is the Z1 or Z2? Would be nice to know.

Regards,

Hi All (greetings from oz),

The AVIC-HD3 (Z1 renamed in OZ) was released this month in Oz. I am picking up a new VW Jetta this week and am planning on getting the AVIC-HD3 installed.

Found this forum today and am a bit dismayed to learn that the Z1 has been superseded by the Z2, meaning the HD3 (Z1) is actually outdated as well (I suppose).

Is the Z2 update purely a firmware upgrade, or is there more involved (hardware & firmware) to the update? Can you firmware update the Z1 successfully to the Z2?

Also, if anyone has the Z1 installed in a VW Jetta, how has it been. I have found that the cost of the install does go up a bit when you start adding in can bus interfaces, etc.

Bit dismayed also to read the various issues ppl are having with the Z1. Makes me start thinking about maybe holding off on my purchase.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Hi,

Actually, the Z1 is equal to the HD1, and the Z2 is equal to the HD3

(more or less, apart from the radio part)

The HD1 can be updated to the HD3 using the 700HD update ( 2 DVD's) that update the map database and the system software. I just completed this on my HD1BT, and this works fine. I now have the TeleAtlas 2007 maps (for Europe) and the HD3 software..(bluetooth echo problem finally seems realy solved now as well...)

Hi,

Actually, the Z1 is equal to the HD1, and the Z2 is equal to the HD3

(more or less, apart from the radio part)

The HD1 can be updated to the HD3 using the 700HD update ( 2 DVD's) that update the map database and the system software. I just completed this on my HD1BT, and this works fine. I now have the TeleAtlas 2007 maps (for Europe) and the HD3 software..(bluetooth echo problem finally seems realy solved now as well...)

Hi jwq,

That is good news. I was hoping the HD3 was the same (or close to it) as the Z2. What is the difference with the radio?

Was also reading about the bluetooth echo problems, so I will definitely be checking that once I pair my phone to the AVIC.

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff.

[quote name="geoffpHi jwq' date='

That is good news. I was hoping the HD3 was the same (or close to it) as the Z2. What is the difference with the radio?

Was also reading about the bluetooth echo problems, so I will definitely be checking that once I pair my phone to the AVIC.

Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.

Regards,

Geoff.[/quote]

On the European versions (HD1/HD2) you get inbuilt FM/AM receivers with RDS and all the options like categories, radiotext and TMC trafic navigation.

The US versions I understand do not have this, but need to use the satelite radio tuner for XM trafic info etc. ...

• 2 weeks later...
The installers are using the Dietz CAN Bus interface for the steering wheel controls and another Dietz for the speed, plus another interface for the rest of the car. Also getting a car alarm installed, that requires yet another CAN Bus interface.

I looked up the Dietz CAN bus interfaces and they seem to be really good. But it doesn't look like they support Pioneer HUs ??

http://www.dietz.biz/ENG/000000965c0e2c051/index.html

I looked up the Dietz CAN bus interfaces and they seem to be really good. But it doesn't look like they support Pioneer HUs ??

Excuse my ignorance, what is a Pioneer HU?

Also, talking with a couple of people today on the phone in the car, and they said they got a lot of echo. Was trying to find in the menu structure where I could set the bluetooth to only come out of the left or right speakers, couldn't find it though.

I just looked on the Pioneer site, and it seems you can also get an original Pioneer adapter that supplies all the required signals of the CAN bus:

Pioneer adapters

ALL with steering control 2002 > CAN ALL models with quad-lock (Fakra) connector behind OE unit

incl. Speedpulse, Reverse Gear, Illumination signals

CA-R-PI.221 V2

Manual CA-R-PI221 V1