AVIC411.com

Z2 Voice Commands

Okay, so I'm finding the voice commands work fairly well...

But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to find a POI through voice commands...

Can someone explain the process... (yes I read the manual, but either I'm not understanding it, or something isn't exactly right)

See, that's the thing, I've been TRYING that and it's not working...

Example... "POI (pause) Starbucks"...

and the result I get is a CITY that sorta sounds like "Starbucks" (and might be in a totally different state).

We've tried this with McDonalds, Burger King, Subway... even items we knew were on the map for sure.

I know the voice commands are working because I can do everything else fairly easily... "av operation (pause) source (pause) XM" worked great today. "cancel" and "back" are easily recognized. "find address (pause) [city] (pause)" etc. worked well.

But no matter how many times I say "POI (pause) [poi name]" I end up getting a CITY being returned to me.

Am I doing something wrong?

See, that's the thing, I've been TRYING that and it's not working...

Example... "POI (pause) Starbucks"...

and the result I get is a CITY that sorta sounds like "Starbucks" (and might be in a totally different state).

We've tried this with McDonalds, Burger King, Subway... even items we knew were on the map for sure.

I know the voice commands are working because I can do everything else fairly easily... "av operation (pause) source (pause) XM" worked great today. "cancel" and "back" are easily recognized. "find address (pause) [city] (pause)" etc. worked well.

But no matter how many times I say "POI (pause) [poi name]" I end up getting a CITY being returned to me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you wait until the nav unit is done instructing you. When you say "POI" the nav unit will confirm POI then instruct you to say the name of your POI. If you start talking while the nav unit is still giving you instructions, it won't work. Make sure you can here the woman's voice. If it's muted, it's very difficult to time your response correctly.

Make sure you wait until the nav unit is done instructing you. When you say "POI" the nav unit will confirm POI then instruct you to say the name of your POI. If you start talking while the nav unit is still giving you instructions, it won't work. Make sure you can here the woman's voice. If it's muted, it's very difficult to time your response correctly.

Yeah, that's not it. I've been sure to do that.

It is just not recognizing ANY POI name I say... but it recognizes lots of other voice commands easily. When I say a POI name (after saying "POI" and waiting for next prompt) it seems to want to return a CITY to me. It's very odd.

On the positive side... I did find that "Vicinity Search" seems to cure this... (so maybe I'm using "POI" wrong?)... tonight I said "Vicinity Search"... (pause and it prompts for "POI Category")... I say "McDonalds" (pause)... and the closest McDonalds comes up without a problem. If I say "fast food" after being prompted, multiple things come up, and I can use the "next" voice command to scroll through.

But I am still perplexed by the POI thing...

Using voice commands, can you actually get an on-screen list of the POIs using Vicinity Search or the POI command?

Do any of you guys use the voice command to search through Artists?

I use "Artist"-------> "Linkin Park" (for example)

I impressed my friends with that one because OEM factory Navi's with voice command cannot do this!

But they can control their HVAC controls with their voice.. Like fan speed, AC, Radio, CD,

Do any of you guys use the voice command to search through Artists?

I use "Artist"-------> "Linkin Park" (for example)

I impressed my friends with that one because OEM factory Navi's with voice command cannot do this!

But they can control their HVAC controls with their voice.. Like fan speed, AC, Radio, CD,

did know that one. This only works for music that was uploaded to the hard drive right?

Have had the same problem when following this stream:

Destination - POI - Exxon (for example), or Toyota Center (another example). Returns a city with closest name. Same result for Arby's, etc. The Vicinity Search is a reasonable work-around when there is something close by, but it often returns 'nothing in database' and has a limited number of recognized POIs. There needs to be a way to locate the NEAREST of a particular POI (e.g. particular gas station brand) regardless how far away it is.

Overall, the (voice) POI feature of this unit is a major disapointment. If anyone

Have had the same problem when following this stream:

Destination - POI - Exxon (for example), or Toyota Center (another example). Returns a city with closest name. Same result for Arby's, etc. The Vicinity Search is a reasonable work-around when there is something close by, but it often returns 'nothing in database' and has a limited number of recognized POIs. There needs to be a way to locate the NEAREST of a particular POI (e.g. particular gas station brand) regardless how far away it is.

Overall, the (voice) POI feature of this unit is a major disapointment. If anyone

Yeah, it's bizarre, right? You say "POI... McDonalds" and you end up with some strange CITY that starts with M as the result found.

Don't know if you know it, but you can say "Vicinity Search... Gas Stations" instead of "Vicinity Search... Exxon"... after you say Vicinity Search you can say a specific POI name OR category. If you say a category, you then get an on-map "list" that you can go through by pressing the voice button and saying "next".

Hope that helps ya. The voice commands are really important since we don't yet have a bypass!

• 2 months later...