AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 installation in 2000 E90 BMW 328I

I bought an AVIC-Z1 with the plan to have it installed in my 2000 BMW 328I. I bought the kit to relocate the temperature controls to a storage space below http://www.mybimmer.net/howtos.htm.

I bought a double din bezel http://mybimmer.net/doubledintrim.htm for my BMW E46.

But when I went to see my installer, he claims that the AVIC-Z1 won't fit into the BMW 328I. He says it will stick out. It seems like it should fit, since the pics on this site http://mybimmer.net/doubledintrim.htm show the AVIC-Z1 installed in the BMW.

But if my installer doesn't think it can be installed, that causes me to worry. He says he is willing to try, but I want him to have the confidence that it can be done. He says he will have to cut some ducting for the middle AC vents and then tape them to make the AVIC-Z1 fit.

Did anyone have any trouble installing the AVIC-Z1 or Z2 into a BMW E46 328I? Should I be worried?

Thanks.

I work mainly on GM's, so I can't say for sure on the install in a BMW. But we have to cut out the sub-dash on all of our installs(Tahoe, Silverado, H2, H3) to acheave proper clearance. On some of the installs it may be possible to fit the radio w/o cutting, but for ease of install and to allow room for the interfaces we always cut.

This installer must have not had much experance. Experance = confidence. Confidence is important when having to tackle a new job for the first time. The pictures you have show it can be done. If he's right and you have air ducts behind the radio then you would have to cut and tape the vent or use a heatgun to remold the vent. This could restrict air flow though the vents that this duct supplies, but the air would come out of the other vents faster. Possibly causing a whistle or increased air noise. You may just have to risk it. What are you willing to deal w/ to have a AVIC in your car?

Then on the flip side. If it's just sub-dash, it's cake, no worries. I would get a second opinion. Or maybe some exporitory disassembly.

Thanks! The wait for the bezel sucks. How long did it take you?

Also, do you have the part # for the climate control relocate kit? Mybimmer says it comes with the instructions, and I wanna pick that up now before the bezel shows up. He hasn't responded to my emails asking for the info.

Thanks again!

I installed it in my E46 M3 with some problems. I had to modify the vents with a dremel. Cutting the vents wasnt the tricky part, it was covering the newly made hole. I tried making a plexiglass eclosure, but that failed. I ended up using a small piece of dynamat and contouring it to the opebn space of the hole, while allowing enough room for the z1 to tuck in there.