AVIC411.com

Could Pioneer Support Suck any worse? Avoid their BT module

I'll probably get flamed by some fanboys for creating a thread like this in my first 5 posts here, but I need to vent and maybe somebody here will be spared the aggravation.

I bought about $1,500 worth of Pioneer equipment two weeks ago - a D3, XM tuner with NavTraffic, and the BTB200 bluetooth module. Got it installed, everything works okay - except the bluetooth, which will not work with ANY of the 3 different phones my family has (a Motorola, HTC, and Nokia - all 2 1/2 years old or newer with bluetooth supporting all of the BT profiles). Actually, I demo'd the Jetware software and that would allow me to make a call via the HTC phone if I did about 5 irritating steps every time I get in the car to get it to pair temporarily. Oddly enough, it works okay for BT streaming audio.

Anyway, for $200 I expected a BT module that isn't a POS. Silly me. I called Pioneer support and asked very politely if they had an update. The technician (Jason, maybe?) says (without knowing which models of the 3 brands I named I was talking about) - "Yeah, none of those are going to work. They don't support the right profiles." (Which is absolute BS, btw.) He tells me no fix is in the works, and Blackberrys, Q's, and RAZRs work fine and advises me to go buy one of those because their unit has no problems and thus they won't be fixing it. I tell him nevermind, I am going to pull the BTB200 from under the dash and go get a Parrot.

Anyway, unless you know for sure your phone is supported (and there is a list being constructed here on the forums), you are taking a serious risk on a subpar product with clearly indifferent support people.

Which models of the phones were you using? Since they're not verizon, I've not had much problem with those brands of phones. Aside from the initial setup anyway. And no you won't get flamed here just because you only have a couple posts. You're making a point without leaving out most of the information. I will agree about 75% of the pioneer techs I've talked to ouver the years didn't know their ass from their elbow...

I noticed that you say it works well with the bt audio. When you look in the devices under BT connections, make sure that the hands free aspect of the pairing is checked, but not the wireless stereo. I know that whenever I try to have both options selected, the bt telephone would say invalid device. When I reset everything and only select the hands free option, telephone works.

I noticed that you say it works well with the bt audio. When you look in the devices under BT connections, make sure that the hands free aspect of the pairing is checked, but not the wireless stereo. I know that whenever I try to have both options selected, the bt telephone would say invalid device. When I reset everything and only select the hands free option, telephone works.

Yeah, I noticed that, too, and I see the same behavior here. At least that is consistent.

I did post the model HTC (aka Tmo MDA/Cing 8125). The Moto is a V360, and the Nokia is a 6230b/i. I wouldn't be that irritated if the Nokia didn't work, because it is the oldest of the 3 at 2 1/2yrs., but the V360 and the Wizard are about a year old and especially in the case of the Wizard support all of the profiles ww/o Jetware's product.

I hope to test a Parrot kit this weekend so I can let everyone know how it compares.

I thought that problems of this kind with the BTB200 usually stem from cell phone companies crippling their phones abilities to completely take advantage of bluetooth technology?

THat's primarily the case with verizon phones........ Great service, but the crippled bt SUCKS ALOT!!!

I am truly glad for those of you who happen to have phones that work - I wish that were true more often. However, the problem is - it's not. I also find it kinda funny that ALMOST every phone that works had to be tweaked in some way for it to work, or else the owner had to stand on one leg with the sun at his/her back to get it to work - part of the time.