AVIC411.com

DVD Changer - Pioneer vs. "Other" for D3

Since I do not know of any model Pioneer DVD changer that gives full functionality to the touchscreen on the D3. Is there really any advantage of going with a Pioneer DVD changer that would use IP-BUS and A/V inputs VS. a third party (Kenwood, Panasonic, etc.) that uses just A/V inputs?

BTW, if anyone knows of a Pioneer model that can be controlled by touchscreen, please speak up.....

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but I have already contacted Pioneer about the XDV-P6. You don't have full control of the DVD functions with the touchscreen on the D3. So my question was, is the Pioneer DVD changer any better than anything else, seing as how you would still have to use the remote with either choice.

See Pioneer response below:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

The remote would still be needed. You can fast forward, rewind, and

pause the movie with touch screen, but you need the remote to get past the menus.

Thank You,

Lance

Customer Service Representative

--Original Message--

Inquiry Type:Feature and Specification

lstPublishers:0002

lstTitles:A00002-Car Products-Visual Audio

Inquiry:

If using the XDV-P6 DVD changer with an AVIC-D3, are you able

to use the AVIC-D3's touch screen to navigate a DVD menu? Or can you

only view the DVD and have to use the remote control for the XDV-P6?

Hi.......I'm new to the site and have been researching this issue for I am looking to get the D3 + XDV-P6 combination.

First, something needs to be cleared up. During my search on this subject, it was mentioned that the XDV-P6 can only be used in "stand alone mode" and no functions can be controlled by the D3. Well, judging by the response from the Rep above, and this statement below from their site.....that is not completely true:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 41,00.html

With that said......I believe the XDV-P6 is the best solution, as long as you buy the optional remote, which will control both the D3 and the XDV-P6:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 26,00.html

As long as the D3 has some control over the XDV (on/off, play, pause) then I'm ok using the remote for menu navigation....minor obstacle compared to using a different brand unit.

With the D3 and the P6, you will have NO touchscreen control. All that info is usually carried through the A/V bus, which the D3 does not have. So basically you will put the DVD player in standalone mode, run the audio and video cables into the A/V input on the back of the D3, and do all of the controls for DVD operation with the remote from the P6

With the D3 and the P6, you will have NO touchscreen control. All that info is usually carried through the A/V bus, which the D3 does not have. So basically you will put the DVD player in standalone mode, run the audio and video cables into the A/V input on the back of the D3, and do all of the controls for DVD operation with the remote from the P6

There is a discrepancy here:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

The remote would still be needed. You can fast forward, rewind, and

pause the movie with touch screen, but you need the remote to get past the menus.

Follw the steps below when connecting an XDV-P6 to an AVIC-D3:

Connection;

1. Connect the IP-BUS and Composite video cable to the output of the XDV-P6 to the input of the AVIC-D3.

2. Set the dip switch of the XDV-P6 to IP-Bus mode.

I'm not saying you're wrong because I haven't tested it myself.....but Pioneer is leading us to believe there is control from the touchscreen, but limited to a few functions.

This is the same functions you get with the ipod video control. FF, RW, and PAUSE but you still need to select the videos from the ipod. Just like here with the remote for the XDV-P6. Makes sense.

I can live with that, as long as the D3 can automatically turn the XDV on when I select the source, which I don't think is possible in "stand-alone" mode.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm new here, thanks for the information that's been so helpful since I purchased the D3. I'm interested in the XDV-P6 and wanted to know if anyone has installed it yet, I see this thread is a few weeks old so maybe someone has had time to test it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bulletooth,

I went with a Panasonic 8 disc changer instead of the Pioneer for a few reasons. The functionality is basically the same b/c of the fact you have to use the remote that comes with the changer for either. The Panasonic was about $200 cheaper as well. As for the quality difference between the two, I couldn't say b/c I haven't seen the Pioneer changer in action, but I have been happy with the Panasonic so far. I'm still holding out hope that Pioneer will come out with a changer that is fully integrated into the D3, so we could get full touchscreen menus and and a single remote for all.