AVIC411.com

2002 WRX install problems

I'm installing an AVIC-D3 and GEX-P10 XM navtraffic reciever, like right now.

I'm going to do the mod, mostly so I dont have to tap the parking brake wire. I have 2 questions. 1, why doesnt the accelerometer and gyro notice you're moving and shut the system down. And 2. What purpose does moving the yellow wire over to the pin above it and grounding it do? Isn't it an unused pin? What is it exactly?

Will it cause any loss of features?

I'm pretty sure I will be able to find the VSS wire, its under the carpet under the glove compartment, whatever that means. I'm going to go look for it now.

The main problem though is mounting the XM unit and running both antennas. The XM unit says not to run the antenna wires together, and not to place the antenna's close together. How the hell?

I am having enough of a time trying to mount one antenna. Where should I put it? I have a sportwagon, and my last one had an XM antenna mounted on the roof above the hatchback, it ran under the weather seal there but I have no idea where it went after that. I dont know how to remove the paneling to run the wire all the way up to under my seat.

I'm going to cover the bottom of the GEX-P10 in velcro and hope it sticks to the carpet under my drivers seat (passenger seat factory subwoofer). Can I get +12 and ground under the seat somewhere? Or do I have to tap a fuse in the fusebox? Or should I power it off the AVIC wiring harness power leads?

Someone who knows their way around a 2002 Imprexa WRX would be really useful right now, there is no repair manual available for this car so I dont know how to remove the paneling.

Any help would be appreciated. And a WRX logo for the D3 would rock :)

Thanks in advance.

VSS wire. Ok I pulled up my carpet and there is a metal plate with what is probably the ECU behind it. I have to remove a bunch of bolts to take this cover off and I'm already sick of taking things apart.

There is a thick wire bundle running up behind the glove compartment, and a white plastic connector with 8 large pins and 10 small pins that isnt attached to anything that comes off of it way up behind the glovebox, and the rest of the wires continue on.

Do I have to remove the plate, and attach the splice at the ECU or can I do it up on that exposed wiring plug? That would be much easier.

Still no idea how to run the antenna, I'm gonna get it out the rear tailight assembly somehow and run it up the trim for my hatchback and onto the roof. I See no way to avoid running the antenna wires next to each other. I cant get out my front doors without drilling a hole.

My experience may help some. I have a 2004 Forester XT. I hired Circuit city to install my D3, they were having a special for free install so why not? Anyway, they would/could not install the VSS wire. Everything else was installed ok.

I got info regarding the location of the VSS wire, as pin 10 of a 20 pin plug in the ECU. I took everything apart, did the bypass and found the ECU underneath the metal cover plate in the passenger footwell underneath the glove compartment. There I found three plugs, each with many wires, several of them the green/yellow color the VSS wire is supposed to be. I have a CDROM of the shop manual, and it includes the wiring diagram for the ECU. However, I decided not to tap into it because I really don't know what I'm doing and I don't want the ECU to be screwed up and have to have the car towed to the dealer to fix.

If someone else has installed the VSS wire tap in a Subaru I would also appreciate advice as to how.

I tapped black/green, which actually appears to be green/black. I was in a hurry and someone here said that was the color.

Its such a tangle of wires. I clearly tapped the wrong one as it is not getting a signal.

I'm gonna look at the wiring diagrams and see if I can figure out which plug its on. What a pain in the ass. And I thought routing 2 antennas was hard!

Ok, the VSS was the green/yellow wire very close to the "top" of the ECU under the passenger kickplate.

Everything is working. GPS antenna is mounted above the windshiled and wire tucked under the weatherstripping down to the door, and XM antenna is on the rear of the car going around the hatchback and into the tail light assembly and then under the back panels, around the seat and under the back floor mat to the unit I velcroed to the carpet under the seat.

I'm so glad I'm done, only a few sheet metal wounds. I'll survive. Just need to keep the blood off my touchscreen :)

I think I'll go see if a dvd will play after I start moving. I think the accelerometer MIGHT notice that. Who knows.

Anyone know what moving that yellow wire to the other pin does? Is it needed? I am worried about cooling since I had to JAM the radio in with all those wires behind it, I think they'll block airflow. Removing that aux wire harness should help things, but thats where the yellow wire is! What the hell is that and why did I ground it?

Yes, everything works while driving. Very cool. All done! Amazing!

I got the correct VSS wire location for my 2002 impreza wrx here:

http://www.northursalia.com/modificatio ... rxpin.html

Its A1, green/yellow. The topmost connector on my ECU. I have a picture, but I don't think anyone needs it.

I still want to know what moving the yellow mute wire to the mystery pin and grounding it does.

Tomorrow I will see how much turn rate I can achieve on gravel ;)

OVER 1g lateral in both directions (I'd say it was somewhere around 1.15 or 1.2). About 0.6 negative G's, and I forget the positive G's, a bit less than that. :)

I took a picture. I wish this thing logged turn rate. I risked dying to look down at my turn rate while powersliding a hairpin gravel turn with no guardrail and a sheer cliff into woods below.

I wish it logged ANYTHING other than acceleration.

I'm worried about heat issues, I had to jam it in there with all the wiring from the factory subwoofer, the AVIC, and the crutchfield wiring harness. I'm worried the fan is being blocked but I have no way of knowing and I got the wires out of the way as best I could since I cant reach back there once I slide the unit in at all. Anybody had overheating problems? I'm about to take this thing to the desert with a black leather interior.

Also, what is the deal with moving the yellow wire and grounding it? What does that DO exactly?