AVIC411.com

how tell if flasher trick works.....

i just got my z1 installed and i specifically told them to make sure they didnt connect my park brake wire. so when i tried flashing i couldnt tell if it worked and i dont know wat functions are automatically disabled as your driving. o yea and i dont wanna drive up and down the street to see if a dvd plaays...
[quote name="Anonymous"]i just got my z1 installed and i specifically told them to make sure they didnt connect my park brake wire. so when i tried flashing i couldnt tell if it worked and i dont know wat functions are automatically disabled as your driving. o yea and i dont wanna drive up and down the street to see if a dvd plaays...[/quote]

I posted this a couple time somewhere, but I should probably add this to the FAQ.

Start the car

Let the unit boot up (assuming the unit boots in to AV mode and not to the nav screen)

Hit the nav button

Hit OK to the disclaimer (if you haven't already)

Hit the Menu Button

You will be in the "Destination" menu section, there will be 10 buttons on the screen, count the number that is "grey-ed out".

If you just started the unit for the very first time there should be 3 greyed out buttons:
Destination history (you haven't put any in yet)
Route Overview (you don't have a route programmed)
Cancel Route (same as above)

If you have used the Z1 before and had at least one route planned, it should just be 2 buttons greyed out, the right most 2
Route Overview (you don't have a route programmed)
Cancel Route (same as above)

If you actually go in and program a route to somewhere, all 10 buttons should be available.

If the flashing DOES NOT work, you will have 6 buttons greyed out, so it's easier to list the buttons that are available. If the flashing does not work, the 4 buttons you have available (and this is from my memory cause mine's been automatic for months now, there might be 5 available instead of 4) :)
Address Book,
Go Home,
Vicinity and Telephone Search
(I think)
Have you tested to see if they even hooked up the illum wire properly? Start the car, put the nav map up and turn on your headlights. Does your map background go from a tanish color to black? You can also check this wire's connection in the hardware setup menu.