AVIC411.com

2005 Subaru STI AVIC-D3 Install

I installed my AVIC-D3 today after purchasing it from Compuplus.com ($714.94 shipped). They have super fast shipping and I highly recommend them! This install was pretty easy and took less than 2 hours (with watching the Simpsons while wiring the harness).

The Install:

The dash was very easy to uninstall. Unsnap the boot over the shifter and pull boot and plastic cover over the shifter.

DSCN0999.jpg

Unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom of the heating/cooling panel. Then pull back at the bottom while prying the clips at the top away with a flat tip screw driver.

DSCN1000.jpg

I was surprised when I saw 5 screws holding the factory radio in. There is so much room in the dash. I did the install without any cuts on my hands.

DSCN1001.jpg

Next, I did the bypass seen here: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7998

Then, I used a Scosche SU03B (from Cardomain.com $13 shipped) to connect the AVIC harness to the car.

Next, remove the plastic molding next to the passenger seat under the door. There is a plastic plug in the door jam and a plastic screw near the front of the car where the passengers right foot goes. Pull that out and you will see a bundle of wires. Find the BROWN/YELLOW wire and connect the PINK Reverse light wire.

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

I then removed the glove box (about a million screws) to get to the ECU (it's not there, it is under the carpet on that side I guess). I searched for the ECU for a minute, gave up and ran the reverse light wire above metal braces for the glove box.

DSCN1004.jpg

So I started working my way back across the car. I took my gauge pod(stock clock location) off and put the GPS antenna on the dash behind my pod.

DSCN1009.jpg

I then removed the gauge shroud (2 screws on top) and gauges (3 screws). I pulled the gauges out and unplugged them looking for the GREEN/YELLOW wire. It was on the center harness. I then tapped into it ran the Vehicle Speed Sense (VSS) wire through the dash to my AVIC.

DSCN1006.jpg

DSCN1007.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

I then took the braces (4 screws) off the stock HU. I took the braces and put them onto my AVIC (only 3 screws lined up). I then plugged the harness into the car and AVIC and screwed it to the dash with the 6 screws that help the stock radio in. I then put the A/C heater control panel back on and the shift boot shroud back on.

DSCN1010.jpg

Everything works great.

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1011.jpg

All-in-all I am happy with the unit. I haven't had any time to play with it yet, but it seems like great unit. It really made me realize how bad my stock speakers are (new components on the way). Sorry for the blurry pics.

nice car, i did this as well about 2 years ago, though i didnt document it. YOu can put the ant. for the gps right under the clock/guage bezel with very minimal signal loss. In fact you take the square metal piece supplied and place it on the center just under the bezel and then place both ant. for gps and sirius or xm or both there. This is the same for the 06 sti, which I also had.

Should you want some insight on remote start, radar/laser detector and blocker, or even backup camera let me know, I pretty much disassembled the 05 and 06 sti's.

BTW, you might want to get rid of that radar you got stuck above the gauges, looks not so good like that with the cord dangled down the dash. Or re do it a bit. You could really clean that up and make those awesome gauges look awesome. Also, for the vss, you can go to the puter cuz for 'some' gauges need things that are run there also.. such as a/f would help for cleanliness of an install and route wires all together.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Originally Posted by dantastic on Scooby Mods:

"Have you checked the VSS signal operation thru the D3's hardware menu? I tried the green/yellow wire per this thread, but it didn't work. I used C1 (Black/dark green) on the right harness on the cluster and now it's reading the VSS fine. I have a '05 WRX, but the '05 STI should be the same since I'm running a '05 STI cluster."

I have an 05 WRX Wagon and am having a very similar problem. When I am moving, and I open up the Avic's Hardware menu, my Speed Pulse is reading zero.

I definately hooked up the green/yellow wire correctly and my digital gauges work. I am reading on this post that the gauges have nothing to do with speed sense, but rather the GPS can read your speed, etc.

Also, I am having some small problems with the navigation. Sometimes when I turn the unit it off, it places my car a half-block (or more) away from where I actually am. I am hoping that getting the speed sense connected will fix this.

Anyone other than Dantastic finding the VSS to be different than on the 05 sti?

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

sti, and wagon is going to be different, make sure your getting the wiring for that vehicle! the reason your gauges work in the avic is cuz its getting it from the gps, also why your vehicle is half a block a way when you turn it on. nasioc.com has an excellent resource for locating wiring for the subaru vehicles. check it out

according to the manual i have for the 05 sti, the vss is located in the b135 plug and in terminal 27. the plug looks like this

the *'s are the actual pin terminals, the lineup maybe wrong but the number of terminals is right, so look for a plug that is 7 wires on top followed by 12 in the second row and 8 in third and 4th rows, similar to the lame attemp at a picture i did above. but again thats for the sti, which i think is different. especially on turbo vehicles

well, depends, but if they trace a problem back to your connection they can do that wherever you make it. Theyll even be able to tell somethings not right cuz of the gauges you put in/if you put in. and even if you take them out. fyi, you cant be denied warranty on any part of your car UNLESS the cause of the problem IS YOU, so just tapping in isnt a loss of warranty, it has to be what caused the problem.