AVIC411.com

Circuit City has ND-BT1s

Thanks again for discovering the stash of ND-BT1s at Circuit City. I am sure others here are grateful for the heads-up.

Installed the unit in less than 10 minutes myself. Only one wire and it's molded to the BT receiver on one end. The other is a red plug that only fits the red connector on the back of the Z1. Don't pay to have this installed unless you have never removed the radio.

Once the passords were installed on both ends and the bluetooth turned on in the menus on both the devices, the handshake was quick. Hands-free works great, although I couldn't get the Z1 voice recognition to recognize the numbers on direct dial. No echo problems with volume set one peg beyond center on the volume menu, and the audio is terrific through a $6k sound system. :wink:

Contacts had to be loaded one at a time using the object push protocol into the Z1 card reader. The Z1 disconnected after each card (contact), so I pushed them over individually. Curious that the Motorola manual says it supports phonebook upload. Damn Verizon, if thy are responsible.

One oddity that was mentioned on HowardForums, if you lose sync the car has to be restarted to synchronize. Shoddy programming, because the software already shuts down the sync and reinitializes fine to receive multimple manual uploads of the contacts. Two lines of code to recognize the disconnect, reset the flags and loop back to the main routine.

The phone selection is buried three or four levels down in the Z1's rather clunky menu heirarchy. Pioneer did it because you are not supposed to be able to access these features while the vehicle is moving. Of course, you can use the voice recognition. But be precise, and know all of the commands.

As for the Q, there appears to be no advantage over other Verizon phones in using the Z1. At least, there is no advantage over a phone that competently executes hands-free, which is all that I've managed to accomplish with Motorola's flagship telephone.

Maybe others have had better luck. I would appreciate some input as well.
johnpsc--

i finally got my Z1 installed today! However, I've been having problems getting the Z1 to connect to my Q. I'm able to connect after inputting the passcode. However, as soon as I connect the Q instantaneously disconnects. At this point, I can't dial out using the Z1 (and all of the bluetooth phone functions are greyed out).

Did you have any similar problems in pairing your Z1 and Q?
The Q pairs reliably -- never have to force a handshake from the menus. You should store the same passcode on both units. I would reboot the Q after making the changes. I usually keep mine on the holster unless I am taking a long trip, and still no problem. One thing, when making a call it will say it is disconnecting until it connects -- that's normal. And, you have to restart the motor if you lose pairing. It will not restore with the engine (and the Z1) running.
[quote name="johnpsc"]

The phone selection is buried three or four levels down in the Z1's rather clunky menu heirarchy. Pioneer did it because you are not supposed to be able to access these features while the vehicle is moving. Of course, you can use the voice recognition. But be precise, and know all of the commands.

[/quote]

The phone menu is easily accessed on the Z1 with just one button....push and HOLD the menu button. It goes directly to the phone menu.
hmmm very strange. still having trouble staying connected. my girlfriend's verizon razr connects and dials via the Z1 with no problem.

this is how i tried pairing the Z1 via the Q. Am I missing something?
Bluetooth Manager > Menu: Paired Devices > Menu: Add
At this point I'm able to input the passcode. However, as soon as it connects it instantaneously disconnects. I can't dial or do anything through the Z1.

Maybe something is wrong with my Q. Thanks.
You may have to turn the bluetooth on in the Settings menu first. Can't remember. Make sure it's on if it's not. And make sure you select Hands-Free with the Z1 as well. It will pair automatically once Pioneer Navi is shown as an option in Hands-Free. Just check those. I sent you a PM with info on my Build for the Q and the Bluetooth module for comparison purposes.

But, if the Razr works, the Q should work. I'd let VZW check out the Q.

And you're right about the phone buttom bringing up the phone menu, Aviator03. Still have to wade through the menus to get to the address and phone books. But it does save one step in the process :D