AVIC411.com

D3 Installation in Wrangler Unlimited Help

I have decided I am going to take the challenge and try to install the D3 myself and was hoping some of you out there could help me with some questions.

First, I bought my D3 used and I was wondering if the power cable has been modified. It looks like some wires have been cut and something has been added on the end (see pictures below).

Second, from looking at the installation guide online, I think I will only need to attach these wires: Yellow, Red, Orange/White, Black, Pink, Light Green, and maybe Violet/White (I think this only necessary for rear-view camera). All the speakers will be attached through RCA and a CHTO-03 harness that connects to the Jeeps factory amplified Infinity system. Does this sound correct?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

post-10928-12872752832675_thumb.jpg

post-10928-12872752833327_thumb.jpg

post-10928-12872752833775_thumb.jpg

Please in the future make your pictures smaller before posting them. To get to the point, yes there has been a vw/audi harness attached to the d3's harness. You can cut that off, don't need it. You'll want to hook the following wires up to the chto-03.

Yellow - Constant

Red - Accessory

Black - Ground

Pink - VSS feed

Purple/white - reverse input (only needed if you're putting in a b/u cam

Orange/white - Illumination

Blue/white - Amp Turn on

The white, white/black, gray, gray/black, green, green/black, purple, purple/black wires you won't need since you have the amplified system. Tape them up so they can't short against each other or any metal in the vehicle.

Now the light green parking brake wire you can either hook up properly or you can bypass the nav/video lockout. To do that just read one of the many threads on bypassing the d3. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for that info! Sorry about the pictures, Im new to this. I am kind of confused on how I will hook all those wires to the CHTO-03. I have not received it yet, but judging by the picture online (http://www.installer.com/photos/chto-03s.jpg), I would hook up the end that was in the factory unit into one end of the harness and then use the rca males to hook into the D3 rcas. Where would all the other wires connect?

Best bet is to wait till you actually gt the module. It's alot easier to understand once it's sitting in front of you. Bascially the interface (cho-03) will have a bunch of raw wires on it. Read the directions that come with it and for the most part you should be able to just match the wire colors.

I have another question. I am planning on hooking up the SIR-PNR2 with the D3 and was wondering if I could unplug the antenna from the factory radio and plug it into the SIR-PNR2 thus keeping my current free year of Sirius. If this is possible, which of the cables is the correct one (look at pictures). I took the dash apart and pulled out the factory radio and noticed that it looks like two antennas are connected to the back (not sure which is the Sirius). Other than that, still waiting on the CHTO-03 to come in so I can get started.

post-10928-12872752834213_thumb.jpg

post-10928-12872752835152_thumb.jpg

Reusing the antenna will not allow you to keep the free siruis. You'd need the factory tuner. That can't be hooked up to the d3. So long story short. Your free year is toast if you rip out the factory radio. You "might" be able to talk them into transferring the subscription to the new tuner though. It's worth a shot.

I noticed you said I should use the Blue/White wire for Amp turn on. I looked at the Flash override tutorial and it seems that my power chord does not have the blue/white wire. Do you know any way that I could put a wire in that will fit into the white end with the clips? Or is there another wire on that chord already that would not be used that I could move to the location the blue/white wire should be at? Thanks for the help!

post-10928-12872752853007_thumb.jpg