AVIC411.com

has anyone tried doing any kind of cooling mods like we do when we overclock computers?? ive drilled holes in my ac duct to try and vent some cold air to the unit which helps it reboot quicker instead of staying froze/locked on hot days.

id really like to put in a bigger fan or modify the heatsink or drill holes in the outer case or something to help disipate some of the heat this thing puts out and to cool it quicker internaly so it doesnt freeze on boot up as often.

it was really hot today and after a 20 minute drive home with the ac blasting i pulled my hard drive out and it was hot really hot, not hot potato hot lol i put it in the freezer for 4 minutes and put it back in and the unit boots like normal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about doing the same thing, but I'd rather Pioneer provide a fix rather than me moding my car because they can't properly test their products.

Heat is a HUGE issue for the Avic-Z1 unit. My unit freezes up every time the car sits in the sun. If I use a sunshade it does not freeze.

tillithz im in auburn 2 hours east of you. its freakin hot up here in the foothills. my truck said 104 and thats the sensor in the shade. i bet the dash in my gmc was 120 plus which will shut down the z2

heat has caused many of these units to not boot up on hot days. and im not the first person to duct cold air too it. with that said i could patch the holes up anytime but in the winter i dont use those ducts anyway so the holes are fine.

I dont really want to mod my truck anymore its time to mod the z2 so these hard drives quit cookin and freezin our units.

i dont think pioneer will do squat except come out with a new unit leaving us to fend for ourselves. they allready tell us NPF on almost every unit with this problem.

Actually, the units do boot. When mine freezes the last audio source will play including the library from the hard drive. I think the problem has something to do with the screen. I've also noticed I only have the problem when sunlight is directly on the screen. I'm guessing that during boot-up the system is getting info from several sensors and for some reason it's tuning off whatever controls the screen output during that sequence.

maybe take a bit more care of your electronics? you wouldnt sit there with the sun shining in your eyes for hours on end woudl you?

Huh? What are you talking about? Are you saying that the few hundred people on this forum are responsible for their unit freezing up because they can't keep their car out of the sunlight? Do some reading up on the issue man. Everyone who has had this problem has documented it well and sent their units to Pioneer only to hear them say NTF, No Trouble Found. When they send the unit back and the customer re-installs is...yup, same problem. Fact of the matter is there is a $2k product on the market that doesn't like sunlight and wasn't tested properly to hold up to the extreme conditions of a car parked in a parking lot during daylight hours.

what I am talking about is taking care of your expensive purchase.. as you put it $2k product. Your on the right track with a sun shade I think and I see you understand it. You are a bit off though about a few hundred people HERE have a "heat" issue.

Before you continue your flame, think about it a little, if you take your shinny new cd and put it on your dash in direct sunlight, and give it maybe 1 hour, on a hot day. Do you really expect it to be ok when you come back? Better yet, put a baby in the back seat NOT in the sunlight for uhhhhh a few hours on a warn day, oh wait you dont need to do that, its already been done and in the news all the time!

Please dont insist it wasnt tested. Some user on some forum gets no credibility over a manufacture who is very well known and sold alot of products... NOT JUST avic units. Besides do you really think any other equipment is so different in fabrication that it would withstand harsh condistions? Also, so you know, theres an operating temp for every hd ... a temp range in fact that its suppose to run at. Do you know what it is? do you know how hot a car can get sitting in a parking lot durring the daylight hours? I think the answer is no, cuz if you did, youd be a bit more understanding to this so called problem.

Your full of it. I've read EVERY post on hear concerning this issue and the op temp of the HD is well known jack (3.2 - 158 F; -16 to 70 C). Like I said, if you'd read my previous posts here and on other threads, I don't think it's the HD because music plays when the units freeze. Fact of the matter is my child isn't installed in my dash. If Pioneer made these units to take with you rather PERMANTLY mounted in the dash that would be different. Cars in Texas get hot. PERIOD. This unit can't take the heat. And don't get me started on all the electronics that reputable companies put on the marked before proper testing is done. Do a search for a little product known as an Omni-fi put out by Rockford Fosgate. Like I said, you lack any experience with this issue because you haven't read the..lets see...60+ post on this issue. If you had you wouldn't be comparing a car stereo to child.

tillithz your so far out of line. think about what your saying.

first top of the line cars like infiniti lexus and bmw use hard drive based nav units almost like ours. NONE of theres freeze up in heat and wont boot period there great units. unlike ours that are tempermental too heat.

quit backing pioneer on this and do the homework. we have on this unit.. you live in a cold/mild place that never gets too hot and you have the balls to tell us to take better care of our units ???

there are to many people with this problem its not up for debate jack. go hijack someone elses post or try and help out here

Wheres the figure on how hot the car gets inside on a hot day?

http://www.randomuseless.info/318ti/tem ... ature.html

http://enerjazz.com/data/cartemp/

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 116/1/e109

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6345767.html <--- says 200 degrees F

and you think 200 degrees F is ok for DAMN NEAR ANYTHING? child? electronics that operate at (3.2 - 158 F; -16 to 70 C) ? come on now, are you kidding me? read this link if you think it doesnt get very hot here

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... d=rss.news

Something that is being passed over here, whether it be bmw, pioneer, mitsubishi, or someone else... the hard drives are hard drives!! they arent really special drives, as with pioneers. Does bmw make hard drives? I havent seen those special ones if they do.

The "60+" posts you say doesnt add up to a few hundred as you said in the prev. post bridge4d. Not to mention its pretty ignorant to lump them ALL with the same problem when I doubt any ONE of us here on this forum could produce a product by ourselves that equals the avic units. The comparison of a child and a car stereo was to show the value. As I did with the cd idea. You can except it or not.

And for you smart guys out there, what temp does solder melt at? I've seen it as low as 139 degrees F. Wiring itself begins to melt at what temp? These are all components in/with an avic unit.

So, before you continue FURTHER to flame, this is an open forum, I wasnt being mean, in fact I suggested to the readers a sun shade was a good start. you want to bash me for suggesting users take care and pay attention to their property.. be it a car or an avic unit. God I sound like such a monster <---- sarcastic. Hell, drilled holes in the duct.. thats outa line!

If you (the ones with the problems) took half the effort displayed here in telling me I am "out of line" hahaha thats just funny its a discussion forum for christ sake. But if you took half the time in taking care of your overly priced avic unit ($2k for a z1 was a rip off even when it came out damn near) you probably wouldnt have as many problems.

And here is my last shot to you two guys.. together you dont have 55 posts and you boast of a z1 being $2k, and even suggest that texas gets hot and california doesnt... your ignorance is sooo clear its scorching! lol google the hottest temp in the united states... what do you get? http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001429.html CALIFORNIA BITCHES.not texas!! California Death Valley at 134 and Texas at 120 for Seymour Aug. 12, 1936 120°F

Monahans June 28, 1994 120°F NOT EVEN CLOSE!

So go ahead and pump 175 degree F air into your hard drive'd z1 that is rated at no more then 158 as you displayed and then be suprised when it doesnt work. Classic!

p.s. Ipod's are stated to operate in temperatures of 32 degrees F to 95 degrees F, while the nano is up to 113 Degrees F, Do you think anyone ever leaves their ipod connected to their avic unit on a hot day? uhh der...

I understand heat issues im not only a mechanic and a computer tech i love overclocking computers and been doing it for years and making things that run hot cooler thats what this thread was about.

im surrounded by infiniti product all day everyday. not 1 unit has a problem heat related and every unit everyday boots up and runs perfect and we dont have to sell sunshades to protect our product. these infiniti units run perfect even with the windows rolled up tight in the sun when its 110 outside not like the cool place that you live.

i started this thread to help those many people who are having boot problems in the heat. these pioneers have an issue with no support from the company. I didnt ask for your lip or a flame war. you started in this post sideway,s with missinformation as probably most of your post. you must like to argue in forums allot. im lesser a person for even trying to reason with you.

my z2 is not my child and i dont know where you get off even bringing a child into this conversation. being a post whore counts for nothing either. you live in a perfect spot to run one of these units most of us dont have that luxury

you did contribute a few stats on interior heat issues but then you say that 80 degrees is hot and compare the avic to a child it just shows your lack of gray matter between your ears