AVIC411.com

70-mtp / N4 and MP3 DVDs

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but the specs on the new N4 from pioneer's website is listed having the ability to play WMA, iTunes and Divx files on cd OR DVD discs. For some reason though, it still says that mp3's are playable on cd only. Since it seems that nobody has an N4 yet to test this for us, I'm still hoping that it is able to play mp3's on a dvd disc as well.

Some of you out there have upgraded using the new 70-mtp discs. What I am wondering is if this new functionality might have been added with that upgrade. If someone who has upgraded would burn some WMA or itunes files to a dvd and try it out, it would be appreciated. Please let us know if it works. Granted, this is probally a long shot.

Oh, and before I get these types of responses: I have searched for topics relating to mp3 dvd's, and some will argue that this would not be possible with a software/firmware upgrade and that it is hardware related. Not to sound like an ass, but these people dont know what the hell they are talking about. Explaination:

The physical format of dvd's and cd's are much the same. They both contain data in the form of pits and lands on the disc burned by a laser. The big difference is that the lasers use different wavelengths, allowing the data on a dvd to be more compact for more storage. The Avic-n1/2/3 can read both formats. Those pits and lands represent 0's and 1's describing digital information. It doesnt matter what the data is, it could be a picture, dvd movie, song, etc. The purpose of the cd/dvd DRIVE is to read this data and output its raw format (0's and 1's) to the operating system or brain, etc., which then makes some sort of sense out of the information. A firmware/software upgrade could give the brain new instructions on how to make sense of a new type of data, in this case an mp3 file on a dvd disc.

With that said, a legitimate argument could be made that pioneer would purposefully NOT implement such an upgrade through software because....well if you really wanted to play mp3's on a dvd disc bad enough you would then be forced to go out and buy the shiny new model of headunit making them more money.

Sorry bout the rant, it's late (or early i guess) and i'm just excited about the possibility of an upgraded feature even though i'm sure it's a long shot. Go out and give the wma/dvd thing a try and let me know how it turns out...

If you pull down the owners manual from Pioneers site (Link below) then Pages 81 and 158-160 mention playing MP3s and DVD's but it is not specifically said if you can or cannot play MP3 DVD's but on 158-159 it sure makes me believe you can:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... sComponent

But on page 158 it does say:

"It is not possible to read DVD-ROM discs other than Pioneer DVD map discs or DVD-ROMs with MP3, WMA, AAC, or DivX files burned to it."

But that is for DVD-ROM not DVD-R/RW. And it does say that you can play a DVD-RW. Not sure if I answered your question but pages 158 - 160 have some good info and should answer your question, from what I read I believe it is possible to play a MP3 DVD on the NC4.

Plus on page 8 of the Spring catalog it says you can:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v ... 83,00.html

Yup...it appears that you are right about the N4. Even though the manual and catalog specs are worded oddly, I think in those instances where they say "DVD-ROM" they are referring to any DVD disc, whether it be "ROM" or "-R", etc. Probally because most people who aren't really into technology would read that and think that "DVD-ROM" means any dvd disc.

So if anyone is reading this thread, it appears the answer is Yes the N4 can play mp3's burned to a dvd disc. Also on another note I think that it's awesome they have added the ability to play DIVX files!!

And back to my original post: I'm really doubting that the new 70MTP disc will enable MP3 on DVD functionality. I just noticed that D2's couldn't do this, and then the new D3's can. So I'm guessing we would've heard something from the old D2 guys on added functionality with new software if they did that sort of thing.

At any rate, I just upgraded my N2 to the new discs and I'm getting ready to burn some mp3's on a DVD-RW to see for myself if it works.

Ok I just tried burning some mp3's to a DVD-R disc, put it in my N2 upgraded to the 70-MTP software and.........no go. Invalid disc type. Big suprise huh? Just kinda pisses me off that they are just now starting to implement these features into the new head units when the cheapo walmart jensen brand dvd players have been able to play mp3 dvd discs for a while now.