AVIC411.com

Back up sensors

[quote name="akared"]This looks like a great system I have back up sensors on my truck will they still work with the Z1? I am guessing they will but I don’t want to chance it. Thanks[/quote]

Well with my aviator, I don't think the backup sensors go through the stereo. Your vehicle might be different. If I have the radio BLASTING, you sometimes can't hear the backup sensors, cause the sensors will mute the radio when they go off, if you have a wire like that you can wire it to the mute line if you were so inclined.
No problem. I know for a fact my 03 Aviator sensors do still work and I didn't hook anything into any input into the radio. They might "piggyback" on to the rear speakers for the sound output, but I highly doubt it. It doesn't sound like they come though speakers. It sounds like they come from "back there" (I'm pointing at the rear of my truck right now if you can't see that).

There is one more wire in my dash which I don't know what it does. It might be a "mute" wire for when the rear sensors go off to turn off the radio so you can hear the sensors go off. I might test that theory some day and possibly hook it to the Z1's mute wire if that's the case.

If your vehicle doesn't have that wire, I would bet that the only problem you would have is the radio being too loud to hear the back up sensors. But I don't think replacing the radio will kill their functionality.
You don't say what brand of vehicle you have. On our Aviators with Park Assist (that's what it's called) there is a feed to the radio from the Park Assist module. That wire should be dark blue. (It's pin 1, connector C240B on our CD-6 radios with the 20 pin connector.) That feed will mute the stereo when park assist engages. Hook that wire up to the cell mute wire on the Z1. Works like a charm. The Park Assist is just like Ducatiboy states..it does NOT go through the speakers. The "beep" originates from the module in the back of the car. That's why muting is important.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]That's exactly where I was pointing... didn't you see? :) I guess I should hook that last wire up to my mute input on the z1 huh?[/quote]

I could see Steve! :D I wasn't sure anyone else could..... :lol:

You should have put zippers on that thing when you installed it it's been out so many times! Of course, with our cars, it's VERY easy to get them in and out....
  • 4 months later...
I connected the Dark Blue wire as 03Aviator suggested (it's actually pin 20 on the Ford 24 pin connector) to the Cell Phone Mute on the Z1 but the Z1 doesn't mute when the Park Assist is on (I have the Z1 set to 20dB mute on all events). The wire from the Park Assist (DK Blue) reads about 75 ohms when the Park Assist is triggered, and reads Open when not triggered. Any thoughts or ideas to make it work? Does the Z1 need zero ohms (short to grnd) for the Cell Phone mute to work? :?:

Thanks!!!

R.Diaz