AVIC411.com

d3 install in silverado

I just finished my install of my d3 in my 2004 silverado.

I had many problems doing this, but now that i got it i just wanted to post exactly how i did it.

1.soldered the wire harnesses together

2.i had to cut out a piece of the plastic behind the head unit.

i cut the top portion with a dremmel.

3.i used the gm/suzuki multi installation kit. the piece that u need to use has a piece of plastic through the middle, cut that off with a knife and file it smooth.

4. i connected the reversegear wire. on silverados this is located benieth the steering wheel and behind the knee plate. remove the knee plate with a 7mm socket. you will see a series of wiring harnesses, the one you need is the one on the right(closest to the passenger side)it has three wires going to it, the one you need is the farthest on the left.

5. i connected the vss wire. to get to this you need to remove the dash cluster. pull the harness out from the back of this, and the wire you need is the green and white. there are three green and white wire, the wire that needs to be connected is the wire going to the A4 pin.

Thats basically it. if you need any help let me know

Hey bigman got any pics? I put one in my 06 about two months or so ago. A couple snags along the way but thats usually how these things go... Not nearly as difficult as my old car that required the center console and entire dash to be removed :x

Sounds like you were able to modify the trim piece without any problems. I made the mistake of using sandpaper to file the rough spots. The glossy D3 didn't look so hot with all those scratches next to it...

Glad I did though because the next day I removed it, sanded it, and painted it with some of the flat black to match the dash surround. Looks WAY better IMO.

Here's how it turned out (this is my first time posting a picture here so bear with me):

AVIC_1.jpg

I chose to go with the D3 instead of the Alpine unit I was looking at because of the fixed design. The moving parts in my old head units don't hold up very well through these ND winters..

Oh, and I got a good LCD monitor cleaning kit at the local office supply store. I tried one of those Ebay screen protectors from ScreenPatronus and they SUCK! It wasn't cut to the precise measurements and after a couple of tries I gave up on it. I'm sure others have had better luck with them tho.

Also, if anyone else is looking to do this install in a Silverado, be sure to check out this thread:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ht=classic