AVIC411.com

Making a mp3 cd without the gaps

Hi, first of all I have a z1. I listen to mostly mix cd's where the song just blends into the other song without the song fading out and a new one coming on. Now my problem is, when i make a mp3 cd of all my mix cds and play it on the z1 all of the songs have a 1 second gap. There is no option on my burning software (nero and roxio) to remove those 1 second gaps. How can I get around this. This doesn't seem like the two second gap like regular cd's but just a delay from the z1 to read the other file (song)

• 2 weeks later...

your post is a bit unclear; are you talking about mp3 data CDs or mp3s that you've ripped to audio CDs? I'm assuming you mean data CDs.

this is not so much a limitation of your CD software or the encoder you use, but the way the Z2 plays back mp3 files. It is uncommon for mp3 player devices to be able to properly handle gapless playback between tracks. Not that it's a big technical hurdle, but many players can't even do ID3 tags correctly, so you can guess how much attention gets paid to gapless playback capability :)

I can say that using an iPod with the adapter, I get gapless playback on the mix CDs (as separate MP3s or M4As) I listen to. If you're ripping in iTunes, this is handled by later versions of iTunes and iTunes can even properly detect gapless mp3 files (e.g. ones encoded with later versions of LAME)

This doesn't seem like the two second gap like regular cd's but just a delay from the z1 to read the other file (song)

I think that this is exactly the problem. The Avic doesn't "pre-load" an mp3. It just waits until one song is finished and then goes on the the next. The delay is the Avic searching and loading the file from the HD. Not much you can do about this, I don't think. Pioneer would have to upgrade the software to load the next song into memory as the current song is playing.

Try playing a bunch of mp3s in Windows media. Same thing happens. If I remember correctly, however, winamp is able to preload the mp3, so you can even put in a fade/mix.

This doesn't seem like the two second gap like regular cd's but just a delay from the z1 to read the other file (song)

I think that this is exactly the problem. The Avic doesn't "pre-load" an mp3. It just waits until one song is finished and then goes on the the next.

yep to do it effectively, the device has to buffer the next track as another buffer is feeding the old track to the decoder. more engineering than these sorts of engineers get paid to do :) not to mention, it's a very single-oriented world now. look at the iTunes site. Album-oriented music and mix albums are just lost in the flood of the Timberlake and American Idol singer of the week material.