AVIC411.com

Swapping HDDs

Can you take a HDD from a Z2 and put it in a Z1 without unlocking and removing the security?

I'm not pooooooossssitive, but I think the answer was no. I think one of the updates that the Z2 image runs is to update the unlocking algorithm.

I think Z2 can access Z1 drives, but not the other way around.

I COULD be wrong, it's happened before.

I think the unlocking part uses the device id to make the password. So if you change the HDD then it wouldn't be able to unlock the z2 drive since the z2 drive was locked with the z2's device ID. So IMO you would have to unlock it first.

Close... Z2s can unlock other Z2 hard drives, and Z1s can unlock other Z1 hard drives. The device ID is linked to the hardware, not the software on the drive. I think there's just a change in the ATA password in the firmware between Z1 and Z2 models. But even if we knew that password it would be a tough cookie to reprogram the flash memory with it.

I have a Z2 which is sucessfullt bypassed. I told my cousin to buy a Z2 and ship it to me. I wanted to remove the hard drive from that new unit, stick it in my Z2, and run the ISO updates on it to bypass the drive. Is that possible?

It may be easier to just ship him a copy on the update instead. That way theres no chance you currupt the HDD in the process.

I have a Z2 which is sucessfullt bypassed. I told my cousin to buy a Z2 and ship it to me. I wanted to remove the hard drive from that new unit, stick it in my Z2, and run the ISO updates on it to bypass the drive. Is that possible?

It may be easier to just ship him a copy on the update instead. That way theres no chance you currupt the HDD in the process.

Agreed.

But to answer the question, it WOULD work.