AVIC411.com

Rear Seat DVD/ Dual Zone on a D2??

I've been searching here, on Pioneer's website, and in my user manual, but so far no luck. I guess I'm not using the right search phrase. I even searched in the D2 specific forums as well as the entire forum. So...

I know I can use the "Sub" out in Non-fading mode to supply audio to the AVD-W7900 display I just ordered for the rear seat. I plan to install this on the back of the right headrest using the "stalk" for now. I know I need an external DVD player, and unless I get a Pioneer unit, I won't be able to control the player from the D2.

But given all of that, my question is, "Can the D2 do dual zone? (music up front, DVD in the back)" From everything that I've found so far, it looks like your only options on the rear are "Navi" and "Source." If that is the case, I'm going to go nuts listening to Blue's Clues and Diego for long trips when we take the truck instead of the van.

Maybe I should put the AVD-W7900 in the van...

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Kind of a shame, really. Seems like a real simple thing to offer the AV inputs to the rear output while driving.

First, you don't want to use the "sub" out for the monitor, that is for "subs" meaning subwoofers. It has a normal set of RCAs outputs for the rear.

Are you 100% sure about that. My harness has a tag that says "Sub/Non-Fading" and on page 99 of my user manual it says that when Non-Fading is selected, it is full range (does not pass throught the low pass filter).

Just my $.02

I'm planning my dual-zone setup to just use my video iPod as a separate system for the rear seats. Griffin makes an RF remote with docking station, and I plan to use that and a headphone amplifier to create a (mostly) built-in rear zone system. In my case, when we take long trips, my daughter's in the back watching shows and my wife and I are up front catching up on crime novel audiobooks.

It may not be the perfect all-in-one system, but it should be simple enough to operate, reliable, and it will still look clean and mostly wireless when installed. About 18 months ago, I spent a lot of time/money to build a carputer to do dual-zone audio and video as well as navi, bluetooth, and more. The problem for me was lack of elegance and simplicity. I'm hoping the D3 and separate iPod setup will be better (for me, anyway).

HTH,

Mike