AVIC411.com

Z2 Nav BLOWS!!! Why is this?

I had a Bypassed N1 and I made the mistake of updating it with the N2 discs (costing me the bypass no less) and while the Nav wasn't the best with either version it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the Z2.

I have read god knows how many posts about this and everyone seems to agree that the Nav is almost unusable. We were told it uses a "smart routing algorithm" but it seems they forgot the smart part. What the F*#! is wrong with this thing? It's the most expensive 'Nav' on the market and by far the worst. (from what I'm seen anyway)

And, why does Pioneers most expen$ive system use the old BT adapter (lame) and the old iPod adapter (double lame). There is something wrong when the $999 D3 is more high tech than the $2200 Z2. Maybe someone could pass this on to Pioneer so they can get off their A$$ and fix this.

Anyway, back to the unusable Nav. Is this TeleAtlas's fault? Or is the system just plain stupid? Navtec and Garmin don't have these problems so maybe it's time for a change. I can't take this much longer. (YOU LISTING PIONEER???)

BTW. I love the Z2 (now that it's bypassed) on just about everything but the Nav. iPod and BT excluded of course. It really is one of the best out there. I just can't understand how the F'd up the Nav.

I'd love some feedback to hear what everyone thinks.

I agree with you 100%. I have complained continuously on this forum and to pioneer about the awful routing of the Z1. My hope was to rally enough people to complain so pioneer would make a change. I'm sorry to say I think it has fallen on deaf ears. I fail to understand why people would pay so much for a product that in my opinion is useless as a navigation device. If you call tech support the only thing they will tell you is we are unaware of any issues pertaining to the routing of the Z1.

now I'm really fucking pissed. I just bought the head unit and thought I did enough research...go fucking figure. Might be selling and getting a D3 with better Ipod and BT functionality, and now hopefully better navigation. It's arriving tomorrow.

Can you guys ELABORATE on what parts of the navigation are so bad? (i.e. play by play of what happens)

Well the play by play goes as follows. Example 1: I live on the other side of a canyon from my parents, friends and some places I frequently hang out. Now there are a few ways for me to get from my house to where I want to be. I can take the freeway route that is about 31 miles and has me take 3 separate freeways and basically make a big U. Not my first choice EVER. Traffic always sucks and no matter what time of day it takes forever. I can take canyon road 1 which is about 15 miles total and even in rush hour never takes me longer than 20-25 min. Or there is canyon road 2 which is 13.2 miles (according to Google Maps) and in non rush hour times takes me about 15 min. I would think to anyone out there, the choice is fairly obvious. Either canyon road 1 or 2. So you would think that a so-called Smart Navigation unit would do the same. Well, think again.

I have taken both of these routes about 10-15 times each since I got the unit and yes I had my destination in it every time. Not ONCE has it ever even given me the canyons as one of my six options. To make it worse, while I am driving these routes it keeps telling me to make a u-turn and head back to the freeway as I watch my total trip time rise higher and higher. Not until I am just past the middle of the canyons does it route me the right way. It does the same thing every time. I tells me to make a u-turn and says my destination is 40 miles away and will take an hour and a 31 min then all the sudden is says I have 8 miles remaining and will be there in 12 min. EVERY TIME!!! Even my N1 never did that. I was always given the canyons as an option with the N1. Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, Map-Quest, the N1, my Dads Garmin all say the take the canyon. But not my beloved Z2. FOR SHAME!!

Even when I tell it to avoid the freeway and or shortest route it turns my 15-25 min drive into an hour plus.

Example 2: My girlfriend’s house is 12 miles away. The Route I have always taken is a total of 6 turns door to door and all major streets. The 'one' time I made the mistake of trying the Z2's route it turned it into almost 20 turns and over 22 miles. My Route, I never hit a stop sign (some stop lights but never any stop signs) and the speed limit is 45+ the whole way. The Z2's route takes me through a residential area that is covered in stop signs, speed limit is 25 and right next to a school. STUPID!

I have many, MANY more examples like this if you really want to hear them but I'm sure you get the point.

As I was typing this my not so bright room mate just asked me what does it matter if it screws up the routes I take all the time? Well as I am sure you all agree if it can't handle my easy routes what do you think it's doing to the ones where I have no idea where I am going?

Point is, Pioneer needs to get off there A$$’s and fix this thing before all of us jump ship for a cheaper, more updated Nav unit that doesn’t make it difficult to bypass and has up to date BT and iPod controls. Oh and there is that whole sucking ass at Navigation thing too. I just hope it doesn’t take all of us switching to Kenwood’s 7100 with Garmin built in or to an Eclipse unit before Pioneer gets the message.

Ya feel me dogg? (Wow, I can’t even pull that off in Print) :-(

thanks for the long post, everything makes sense and now I have a lot of bullshit to look forward to. If only I read that before purchasing. What can we do, I will make a thread if someone has the email address that we can all email a letter to. There are so many threads we can include a link to on here, Pioneer needs to do something.

I totally agree. I would love to pass this along to Pioneer and let them know that it's not just one or two people pissed off about this. I have yet to talk to anyone who says the Z1 or Z2 nav doesn't suck.

If anyone can think of a way to make Pioneer hear our message I'm fully onboard

I'm in too. I've had the Z1 for well over a year. Some trips were routed properly. And a few that were off were my fault because in the settings I had specified 'only freeways' which made it try to force me to the closest freeway instead of surface streets. Once I reset route setting it did better, but the routes are still not always calculated properly.

As much as I hate my Z1, I have to wonder why you need to use navigation to a place that you already know how to get to in the first place. There isn't one navigation piece of equipment out there that can know all the varibles that you know like traffic situations, construction, ect. I do like my Garmin way better though. But what do you expect from a company that damn near invented the GPS?

As much as I hate my Z1, I have to wonder why you need to use navigation to a place that you already know how to get to in the first place. There isn't one navigation piece of equipment out there that can know all the varibles that you know like traffic situations, construction, ect. I do like my Garmin way better though. But what do you expect from a company that damn near invented the GPS?

I my situations I knew the general areas but not the best, shortest, fastest way once missing a turn-off. Part of the reason for a nav is to allow you NOT to have to backtrack in a situation like that.

Also, I think the others using the systems on known routes were testing the systems. The grades weren't passing, it would seem!

Exactly. The reason you try routes you know first is to check the system out. If it gets it right then great. But when you ask for shortest route and instead of giving you the same route Google, Yahoo, Map-quest, Garmin, etc give you it has you go 30 miles instead of 12, that's a problem.

You would expect the system to get it a LITTLE off every now and then but not to this extreme. One turn her or there is fine but adding 10, 20, 30 miles and adding 10 more turns is just bad. Also, to me, a system should NEVER put you in a position to Have to make a U-Turn. This does it to me constantly.

i love when people purchase navigation to find out how to get to places they go everyday

:D j/k

AND ALSO LETS BE REAL PEOPLE IT ALSO LOOKS NICE IN OUR RIDES 8)

C'mon, now, boys ......... isn't past your bedtime? Mommy is going to spank you. Now, you go on and play in your sandbox like nice little boys and let the grown-ups alone. But you'll be invited back when you have your license or have more than two neurons firing simultaneously. Now, go-on ...... shooo.

i love when people purchase navigation to find out how to get to places they go everyday

C'mon, now, boys ......... isn't past your bedtime? Mommy is going to spank you. Now, you go on and play in your sandbox like nice little boys and let the grown-ups alone. But you'll be invited back when you have your license or have more than two neurons firing simultaneously. Now, go-on ...... shooo.

:D Nice.

:D Nice.

Hey ...... and ScubaSteve ........... if they come back, you make sure they at least had their Mommy put their big-boy pants on them.