AVIC411.com

HELP. TONS of FEEDBACK noise coming from speakers!!!

I few days ago i was having my 6 disk in dach dvd changer installed. During this the battery must have died. I tried to start the vehicle and got the infamos GM clicking sound. (03 Escalade) Well then the auto start i had installed kicked in and tried starting the car, over and over and over. Well finally it dies completely and a new battery was installed. Now with the key in any postion loud buzzing noise is coming from the speakers. I would compare the sound to when you crank the volume up and your cd player is in between songs on the disk. Like its ready to blow any minute. Just a lound humming sound, even with the key in ACC position. When the car is on it makes an even louder noise than when its in ACC and you can tell most of that is generated from engine noise. Please let me know what you think this is. Oh and one more thing, i dont yet have my steering wheel controls programed with the PAC accessory, but when i press any of the steering wheel controls related to the radio i hear that change of tone in the humming or buzzing sound. Very confused and need help soon!!!
[quote name="03Aviator"]It doesn't sound like you had a Z1 installed. This is the Z1 forum. You may have better luck finding a forum that more directly deals with the product you are working with.[/quote]

Actually he doesn't specify it in this post, but he had a Z1 installed a while ago, then went back to install the add on changer. Then pick up with his story in that post.

This guy and I had been emailing here and there since he had his Z1 installed.

I emailed this to him (if anyone knows of anything else, or something else to try, please chime in here, I'm kind of stumped):

Wow you really fried something. But I'm not really sure what.

The clicking sound isn't just GM, lots of cars have that. What is happening is that it's the solenoid that is used to start the car. When you have a good battery and you crank over the car, the voltage will drop (just from all the current it takes to turn over your car). When the battery is pretty drained, you turn the key, the solenoid will click on (generally you wouldn't hear this over the engine turning over). But when the started tries to engage, the voltage drops so low that the voltage isn't enough to keep the solenoid activated and it clicks off, which now since the car isn't trying to start then there is enough voltage so it kicks back on... it's a nasty cycle.

Generally you can charge up the battery and you would be ok. Draining a battery that low is never a good idea, but I did it on my truck once. I did the same thing you did. I had the radio already installed and was installing the backup camera, so I decided to listen to the radio while I was doing it. That z1 draws 2 amps (I measured it). It drained my battery in the afternoon while I was installing the back up camera. I just put it on a charger over night and I've been fine since.

The only thing I can think of would be to try putting your old battery back in, recharge it first. You might not want to leave it in there for ever, cause it's capacity will be degraded due to draining it all the way like that. Your battery acts as a very large capacitor sucking in noise and voltage spikes and such, this new one might be slightly off. I don't know. Since it's something you changed, you might want to look at that.

If it's not the battery then you fried something in your car, it could be the regulator or some other "protection" circuit in there somewhere. Generally most cars have "protection" circuits which try to filter out all the mess the car's engine and electrical systems make. Some circuit might be blown. The other thing is, this generally only happens when the car is running. If your car is NOT running and you are getting these, then I would suggest that you pull the radio out and run it on a bench or hook it to a battery outside of your truck. Just sitting on a table, hook some stock speakers to the outputs. Just power, ground, 12V switched and speaker outs should do it. Do you get the noise like that from the radio while it's outside of the truck? Do you have amps? Could those be the cause of the noise?

You have so many variables in this, best thing to do it list them:

It's the new battery. So swap batteries.
It's the car's wiring. Take the car out of the equation and put the radio on the bench and run it.
It's the amps, take the amps out.

Etc.

Just make sure each test only tests ONE thing.

I don't envy you, noisy car systems are a real pain to nail down and nothing comes to mind why yours would be acting up. Of course dropping the voltage on the Z1 down so low that the solenoid was kicking on and off, isn't' good. I hope you didn't fry the Z1.

Good luck.
Thanks Steve. And I agree with everything you said on the diagnosis. He needs to take one thing at a time out of the equation and see if he can isolate his problem. This will not be fun....

By the way....far and away the most common problem with automotive electronics is the grounds. If they aren't good...or even located in the right spot, they can cause issues. Our Aviators have several different "grades" of grounds...and I'm sure the Escalade is the same way. I remember an EEC IV problem I was having years ago. I couldn't get it into closed loop no matter what I did. I resorted to tracing every ground. I found a broken ground wire...broken INSIDE the insulation so it didn't show. I acutally had to use a tone generator and trace to find it. Took me forever...but it fixed it. I hope you have better luck than that...
elgruen, you were exactly right!! I took that out, and adjusted the two settings. put it back in and no engine noise!! I did that all before i read your post. Took forever. But now i have the AVIC Z1 installed with the in dash 6 disk DVD changer and it looks great!! Thanks for your help guys. Now i just need help with that damn steering wheel controls programmer. Any ideas?
ok now i have another problem. since i turned that box down, and the pioneer volume only goes to 40- its not loud enough. ANd i cant even hear the Voice talking for the Navigation. I think if i turn that up there will be alot of static or noise again!