AVIC411.com

radio station signal strength issues?

Hi all,

I have installed the AVIC Z1 in my Entourage minivan and i do not have as good a signal strength for the radio stations. My original stock radio was able to get stations which my new Z1 is not able to lock onto or which now give very poor reception? Has anyone else noticed this? Is this normal?

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated?

Below are a few pics of my install!
ok after digging through hmaservice.com i can't find the wiring info for the radio... however the blue wire from the pioneer harness for ant power must be connected to a cable on your entourage in order for the glass embedded antenna to work... ask your service manager to find out the color for you... on my 06 sonata it is a green wire/ black stripe... made all the difference in the world. Congrats on the nice vehicle and let me know how it the search for the wire turns out
wow, that wa very helpful. i have the shop manual and electrical shop manual which i bought from the dealer. Just looked at everything carefully just now and i see a wire which is in the harness which is called (antenna B+) on connector pin 23 in the shop manual. And in the electrical manual it labels that connector number 23 as the diversity antenna wire! I am assuming that this would be the wire I need to connect onto the blus Z1 power antenna wire?

Wow i was so disappointed with the reception, This all make so much sense now.

I owe you a beer!

Thanks so much Guest!
This is great information! Just about all "in glass" antennas require a boost module that is turned on by the head unit. I was fortunate in my car in that after searching wiring diagrams, it looks like it's powered by from the vehicle and not the radio. But if yours is powered by the radio, the power antenna lead must be attached to the boost module. But I would be careful here and do some looking at the factory wiring diagrams and make sure it's not sending out a 5V reference signal to a relay and actually using it's power source from the vehicle and not the radio. You could over power your relay because I'm sure the Z1 is 12V.

I believe you also have to go into the Z1 settings and configure the way your antenna feed operates so it powers up and down when you want it to and not the opposite.
  • 2 months later...
Is there anything new on this install. I just purchesed a 2006 Sedona and have the same problem with AM reception. Also the Backup Camera comes on when I start the engine and doesn't go off until I change screens. It is connected to the rear back up light but changing the gears has no effect.

John
[quote name="kb0uy"] Also the Backup Camera comes on when I start the engine and doesn't go off until I change screens. It is connected to the rear back up light but changing the gears has no effect.

John[/quote]

As far as your back up camera is concerned, I would bet that your reverse light lead is connected to your tail lights and not your back up lights. That long purple and white wire should go to a reverse signal. Its sounds like yours is hooked to your tail lights which would come on when you start you car if your foot is on the brake.

but who knows i could be crazy.. well crazier than i think i am anyway.
In this case it is hooked up to the right wire. Backup up +12 when the vehicle is in R but it is at ground potential in all other gears. For some reason KIA is grounding the hot wire when not in use. I have to switch the polarity to ground for the unit to work the way it does. When switched to battery, it does not work.
I guess my next step would be to remove the wire at the Z1 and see if it sees 12 V in park which would eliminate a installer problem. The Hardware connection display always shows LOW for backup even in Reverse.
I just found out that the pink wire (pin 23)at the radio is for power to the Diversity Antenna Amp. Hooking up the original radio, I was able to measure 13 volts out of pin 23 so I guess when I remove the Zi and connect the power antenna wire all AM & FM reception should be OK. On the 2006 kia Sedona is located next to the right rear speaker.

John
Well now I have fixed my own problems. The backup camera problem was a broken wire on the 1K resistor at the end of the vio/white wire for backup 12 volts. I replaced the resistor with a 1k 5% and changed the polority and it works perfect.

I connected the pink wire to the blue 12v radio wire and I now get AM & FM.

John