AVIC411.com

For those who have not completed the two wire by-pass

I have been trying to do the "flash" to by-pass for more than a week now to no avail. Finally, I tried it at night and it worked. I may have learned something new here.

I don't know when my Z1 was made, but I first noticed that turning my lights on does NOT cause the screen to dim. This means that the Z1 doesn't know that my lights are on (pre-june '06 manufacture date?), hence, no flash to by-pass possible???... However...

At night, turning the lights on DOES cause my screen to dim.

My hypothesis is that the after june 06 models may be fitted, such that, they use two sensors to determine the lighting mode... the lights, but also, an ambient light sensor. This would mean that, even if you have a manufacture date after july 06, you can flash to by-pass, if you can find and cover the ambient light sensor.

Counter hypothesis... It is also possible that my illumination wire ties into a wire that is set up for this. I had factory nav before and it also relied on the ambient sensor. I may have a pre-june 06 model after all.

Is there someone who has not gotten the by-pass to work, please confirm this?

Note: You must disengage the parking brake before turning on the ignition and turn the lights on (for about 1 sec) as soon as you see the "pioneer... loading" message. Flashing your high beams is irrelevant. Turn off your auto lighting and turn the lights on and off manually.

Oh! I'm new here! HELLO EVERYONE!!!

It's not the Z1 but your vehicle which has the light sensor. There is no light sensor on the Z1.

You are tapping into the internal light wire on your car, not the headlight switch. So your car is smart enough to know that when you turn your headlights on in the daylight, not to dim the interior lights. So the Z1 gets your "light" setting based on the interior lights, which is why you only can flash your headlights and get that to work at night... cause the car passes that "signal" through to the Z1 at night.

If you can find the light sensor and cover it with your hand or whatever, you will be able to flash your lights in the daylight as well.

Yes, it's an 02 ML500. I removed the Bose amp, but kept the OEM speakers. The Z1 sounds much better than the Bose imo.

There is a black bulge over the speedo on top of the dash. I was thinking that this could be the light sensor. I'll look for the amber sensor in the morning. I'm not sure about the illumination wire. I bought a floor model Z1, so I had the shop install it to protect my warranty, if needed.

Are you on Benzworld.org also?