AVIC411.com

Backup Camera for Chev Silverado

I'm hoping someone can help

I have a Chev 2500HD Silverado and was looking at installing a backup camera. I have a couple questions to answer before I decide to spend the money.

Does anyone know....

What camera and installation location works best to allow day/night viewing to provide an angle to assist in trailer hookup (i.e. able to see the hitch and ample distance to trailer tongue) and provide enough coverage to avoid obstacles (i.e. children's toys). Yes, I know, as for the children's toys it would be cheaper to just to check behind the truck before I get in :D but having a camera would just be cool!

Thanks,

Navyute

I just got done installing a Z2 in my 03' Silverado SS....I baught my Z2 in a package deal with the Pioneer camera.....so I figured I'd check it out and just stuck it under the tailgate handle and fished the wire through the tailgate's handle and out the bottom....I had all intentions of grabbing the VTL300....but I'm kinda happy with the results of the Pioneer setup thus far...and although it's semi ghetto..I'm not rushing to go grab the VTL300 just yet.....

crappy pics.....but you get the idea...

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

I wasn't thinking to take a pic with the hitch in place....but I can do that tomorrow if you'd like...

Dawgbone,

That is was I was looking for. Awesome pics!

No need to put the hitch in and take another picture. I can see how it would just stick out from under the bumper.

Couple questions:

How well is it mounted? Is it permanent for you, or do you have plans to relocate the camera? I ask because you said it was "semi ghetto", are you speaking cosmetic or structural. I looked at the bezel on my truck and is to mostly curved, is it flat enough to provide a solid base? I noticed your truck in the SS with nice painted bezels, wonder if they are much different, other than the paint. Does the camera get in the way of the handle when you slide you hand in to open the tailgate?

From what I can make out of the picutres, I like what you have done.

Thanks for the help.

Navyute

P.S. If anyone has a screen shot of what there VTL300 view angle provides would me greatly appreciated, just to get an idea.

I mentioned "semi-ghetto" cause it's just stuck there with the double-sided tape that came with the camera....as well as I had originally planned to cut the bezel so that I could recess the cam a bit more....but after thinking about the hassle....and other camera options, I decided to just stick it there with the tape to test it out...the tape is super "industrial strength" tape....and so far no signs of it moving....as well as the camera doesn't shake/vibrate while driving either...so I think I'm going to keep it there...

the camera's mounting surface is actually cut with little fingers...and the material is flexible...so you can bend it to the slight round shape of the bezel....just to maybe explain a little better...it's made to wrap around things...it's probably made of thin stainless or some kind of alloy...

it does kinda get in the way when opening the tailgate...I just spread my middle finger and ring finger apart(like star-trek...lol) but it's not really a biggy for me

you can only mount it so far up before the lever will hit the camera when opening the tailgate...I may eventually cut the very back piece of the handle so that I can mount it further into the bezel...and make the cam a little less visible....as of now, it's barely noticeable as mine is painted black, and semi cloaks the cam...

The only other one I was looking at was something like this....

http://www.trucknvans.com/Tailgate_Hand ... k99kit.htm

but I haven't been able to find just the bezel/cam....and I am worried about it's quality...

here's a couple that I just went and snapped with my cell...

post-11718-12872753038643_thumb.jpg

post-11718-12872753041373_thumb.jpg

post-11718-12872753044182_thumb.jpg

Dawgbone,

Your the Man! Thank you very much for taking the time to take pictures and providing all that information. Great pics by the way, I can see the little fingers you were talking about.

One last question. When you put the truck in reverse do you have to let the system bootup before you can see a picture?

Thanks again for all you info! Guys like you make this site what it is!

Navyute

nope....it'll go straight to the cam regardless of where it is in bootup....

if you were listening to the HDD Library when you got out of the truck....it'll take nearly a minute for the music to get going whenyou get back....but firing the truck up and cramming into reverse, the screen switches over immediately....this head unit just flat out rocks...I do wish that the boot-up was a little faster....but I think it's soley the stock HDD that is slow....dunno....and honestly...it's acceptable to me....an upgraded HDD may solve that issue....or maybe a firmware update down the road....

but the reverse cam feature takes priority....it's instant no matter where in the boot process you are.....it's alot faster and works 10x better than I was exspecting....

I freakin love this HU...... :D:D