AVIC411.com

So, if you can get Apple CarPlay on the AVH-4000NEX and use the Apple maps, why would you need to pay twice the price to get the AVIC-8000NEX? I'm thinking of upgrading from my old AVIC-110BT. What is the true advantage of the 8000 over the 4000? Is it really worth the extra $700?

I thought it was worth it, but then again I REALLY wanted the capacitive screen and built in NAV. I haven't regretted it a bit either, though of course YMMV.

The problem I have is that when the Navigation needs to be updated, you have to pay a rediculous price for Pioneer to supply you with antiquated data. Every update I've ever done on my AVIC has been way behind anything that is on the iPhone. For example; my girlfriend's entire neighborhood would not show up on the Pioneer for a couple of years (even after an "update") but was completely visibile on the iPhone. The iPhone data is constantly updated and does not cost a penny. Does anyone know if the Apple Maps work well on the 4000 with the Apple CarPlay? I just have a HUGE problem with paying a company to provide me with old, worthless data. But, if they have made great advances in their data and come down from the rediculous prices, I might be interested in the 8000. I would much rather have everything in one package.

The problem I have is that when the Navigation needs to be updated, you have to pay a rediculous price for Pioneer to supply you with antiquated data. Every update I've ever done on my AVIC has been way behind anything that is on the iPhone. For example; my girlfriend's entire neighborhood would not show up on the Pioneer for a couple of years (even after an "update") but was completely visibile on the iPhone. The iPhone data is constantly updated and does not cost a penny. Does anyone know if the Apple Maps work well on the 4000 with the Apple CarPlay? I just have a HUGE problem with paying a company to provide me with old, worthless data. But, if they have made great advances in their data and come down from the rediculous prices, I might be interested in the 8000. I would much rather have everything in one package.

(underscore removed from block of text)

CarPlay is just an extension of iOS, it's just a matter of time before new features are added.

The more folks submit feature requests, the better:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I submitted several requests. Including:

• Show speed limit
  • Show current speed
  • Font size options since 1/3 of screen is taken up by navigation text info
  • Layout options (ability to customize toolbar, navigation text info block, etc.
  • Take advantage of space better, right now hiding toolbar doesn't really gain anything
  • Recent/favorite locations accessible from head unit screen (home + work are two critical ones for me).

Everyone should submit feature requests, and even if overlaps with mine or anyone elses, so Apple will more likely act.

Don

Thanks,

Don

So, if you can get Apple CarPlay on the AVH-4000NEX and use the Apple maps, why would you need to pay twice the price to get the AVIC-8000NEX? I'm thinking of upgrading from my old AVIC-110BT. What is the true advantage of the 8000 over the 4000? Is it really worth the extra $700?

I wouldn't want my ability to have integrated in-car navigation tied to my choice of portable device. In my case, I don't have an iOS device, nor do I have any particular desire to own one. I may at some point - I'm far from an Apple hater - but I prefer my navigation system to remain independent of the brand of my other devices.

The other advantage is the capacitive touch screen, but if that's the only consideration it wouldn't be worth the extra scratch (IMO).

That's what NEX is designed to give you. Navigation, along with the flexibility of leveraging your mobile phone for navigation if an app is available.

The beauty of NEX is if it can display your phone's navigation app (does an app exist?), it will combine your phone's A-GPS chip (which uses WiFi, Cellular and up to 2 satellites) with its own GPS chip (which uses up to 8 or so satellites of the 20 or so existing).

So by using your phone navigation you get better performance in cities (A-GPS + GPS), and integration with your contacts (mom's address).

And by using NEX, you have the flexibility to toggle back and forth. I do all the time, using CarPlay maps in cities, and NEX navigation on the open road (until CarPlay matures and provides all the granular functionality/details that the NEX navigation unit provides).

You're never stuck with either.

You're never stuck with either.

I do like the idea of having Navigation if for some reason I'm somewhere where I have no cell reception. That and the capacitive screen are probably going to push me towards the 8000. I have a resistive screen now and it sometimes drives me crazy. Not sensitive enough! I just hope that Pioneer's Navigation data updates have greatly improved and that the cost has gone down some.