AVIC411.com

8000NEX - Push to Talk Steering Wheel Button & Disable CarPlay Auto Launch?

I just got my 8000NEX installed last night in a 2008 4Runner. I updated the firmware to 1.08 today and have a couple questions...

1. My push to talk steering wheel button doesn't work (didn't work before the firmware upgrade, either). I can either hold down the Home button on the deck or switch to the phone screen and press the talking pacman icon to access Siri, but can't use my steering wheel button. This was installed with the Metra ASWC-1 steering wheel interface, so I'm disappointed this button doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2. My iphone is needing replacement, so it has battery issues and I like/need to keep it plugged in. The primary plug for it in my car now is the USB input installed in my center console to connect to the 8000NEX. However, sometimes I really just want it plugged in to get a charge - not to use CarPlay (obviously, I still want phone functionality through the car whether via bluetooth or cable). In fact, I anticipate CarPlay will be a relatively minimally used feature of this deck. Is there a way to make it so that CarPlay doesn't automatically launch and take over the deck when I plug my phone in? If I want to access CarPlay, I'd like to just hit the icon in the upper left of the home screen. Instead, I seem to have to keep hitting the Pioneer NEX icon from the CarPlay screen to keep taking me back to the Pioneer home screen. I like my iphone, but it doesn't need to be in control of every other device I interact with. In a nutshell, I would prefer the NEX home screen be the default home screen at all times, regardless of whether my iphone is connected via USB or not. Granted, I just did the 1.08 update and haven't even driven around with it yet, but I didn't like how CarPlay seems to be given priority over everything else. Is there any way I can plug in my iphone and only go to the CarPlay screen when I actually want to (i.e. press the button)??? Is my only option to have another power source from the cigarette lighter to charge my phone when I don't want CarPlay to run my world? I'm okay with my NEX just being an audio/nav deck most of the time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I just got my 8000NEX installed last night in a 2008 4Runner. I updated the firmware to 1.08 today and have a couple questions...

1. My push to talk steering wheel button doesn't work (didn't work before the firmware upgrade, either). I can either hold down the Home button on the deck or switch to the phone screen and press the talking pacman icon to access Siri, but can't use my steering wheel button. This was installed with the Metra ASWC-1 steering wheel interface, so I'm disappointed this button doesn't work. Any suggestions?

2. My iphone is needing replacement, so it has battery issues and I like/need to keep it plugged in. The primary plug for it in my car now is the USB input installed in my center console to connect to the 8000NEX. However, sometimes I really just want it plugged in to get a charge - not to use CarPlay (obviously, I still want phone functionality through the car whether via bluetooth or cable). In fact, I anticipate CarPlay will be a relatively minimally used feature of this deck. Is there a way to make it so that CarPlay doesn't automatically launch and take over the deck when I plug my phone in? If I want to access CarPlay, I'd like to just hit the icon in the upper left of the home screen. Instead, I seem to have to keep hitting the Pioneer NEX icon from the CarPlay screen to keep taking me back to the Pioneer home screen. I like my iphone, but it doesn't need to be in control of every other device I interact with. In a nutshell, I would prefer the NEX home screen be the default home screen at all times, regardless of whether my iphone is connected via USB or not. Granted, I just did the 1.08 update and haven't even driven around with it yet, but I didn't like how CarPlay seems to be given priority over everything else. Is there any way I can plug in my iphone and only go to the CarPlay screen when I actually want to (i.e. press the button)??? Is my only option to have another power source from the cigarette lighter to charge my phone when I don't want CarPlay to run my world? I'm okay with my NEX just being an audio/nav deck most of the time.

Thanks for any suggestions!

You can disable carplay, but honestly, especially in the 8000 don't knock it till you try it. Carplay is awesome. 

You can disable carplay, but honestly, especially in the 8000 don't knock it till you try it. Carplay is awesome. 

Awesome especially for a version 1.0 product. :)

Please feel free to submit CarPlay feedback here:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I've submitted feedbac 30+ times (well, a mix of feedback and Bug Reports through the enterprise portal).

Apple is monitoring all feedback, even if they don't respond (they do respond to Bug Reports).

We're hoping Apple's elves are working on CarPlay 1.1 or 2.0 over the holidays...fingers crossed!

Happy holidays!

Don