AVIC411.com

Am I missing something? How exactly do I update GPS maps?

You need a 2gb usb stick, connect it to usb1 of the unit. go to setting while in sat nav screen, scroll to the last screen and press the nav tool button, it will transfer the details of your unit to usb stick. take that stick to you computer and run the navi toolbox, it will update. once done, take the usb stick and reverse the process on your nex.

Koush

You need a 2gb usb stick, connect it to usb1 of the unit. go to setting while in sat nav screen, scroll to the last screen and press the nav tool button, it will transfer the details of your unit to usb stick. take that stick to you computer and run the navi toolbox, it will update. once done, take the usb stick and reverse the process on your nex.

Koush

Naviextras instructions say minimum 8GB stick.  I tried with a 4GB stick and it didn't do anything on my 8000.

Koush

Nice. Thank you for the information! I'll have to check this out. Any clue how often the maps are updated?

Good info, thank you! I've followed these directions precisely but still run into the same error. I saw there was a place inside Naviextras to submit a Tech Support inquiry, which I have done now.

Wow, that's great news, thanks for sharing!

I hope the fix is a firmware update for the AVIC-5000NEX that fixes (1) album art - impossible to see, and (2) increase sensitivity of screen - I know it isn't capacitative but  can be tweaked.

I had planned on upgrading to an AVIC-8000NEX, but holding out until the price comes down. Even on eBay its about $1000.