AVIC411.com

AVIC-5000NEX Carplay Issues

I'm having tons of problems getting Carplay to work consistently on my 5000nex (v1.08).

At times Carplay attempts to connect (splashes Carplay logo on iPhone) but nothing happens on the NEX. Other times it connects, but disconnects within a few seconds/minutes. I am rarely able to use it for more than 30 seconds at a time before the app locks up and disconnects.

I'm using an iPhone 5 (v8.1.3) and a genuine Lightning cable. I've tried another genuine cable and a iPhone 6 and have experienced the exact same problems. Often I have to turn off the head unit to have Carplay attempt to reconnect.

I am using a new 2m extension cable to route the cables to my center console -- though I have yet to try and bypass it (pain to pull the radio back out a second time).

Anyone else having similar issues? Could it be the extension cable and are the cables really that fussy?

I had problems with Apple cables and some of the cheaper/flimsier third party cables.

I bought a Griffin coiled Lightning/USB cable and the problem went away.

I have a Honda CR-V and it has a USB female going into the center console.

The trick I found is to secure the cable using a rubber band, else connection gets iffy.

Obviously this won't help if it isn't a cable problem, YMMV.

I've had that issue, though it's rare for me. It is easily the most frustrating though. My biggest issue is that there's no music audio from carplay half the time. I have to plug my phone in over and over again to make it work. Determined it isn't an issue with my jailbreak as it did that with clean firmware as well. 

Is there a way reinstall the firmware on the head unit and start fresh?

Thanks. Not that I wish the bugs on anyone else, but it's good to know that I'm not the only one having issues. I will try and reflash 1.08 again and see if it makes a difference.

My primary phone is an Android so its not a deal breaker, but since my HU doesn't support Android Auto I was hoping to give Carplay a shot.