AVIC411.com

Startup/Power Issue with NEX 4100

We have this problem on our 2008 MDX which was retrofitted with the 4100.  Our dealer insists it is not normal.  I'd say it happens at least a couple of times a week but does not happen most of the time.  Definitely seems to be timing related and I've noticed it happens more frequently if I start the car and immediately put the gear selector into reverse.

Not sure if a line capacitor or some other change in the wiring would buffer power to the unit and cure this.  Dealer wanted to replace (but did not have any stock)... from reading this thread it seems as though this is "normal" for at least some of us.  Pretty annoying.

Some of the other annoyances we've had definitely appear to be carplay related as the problems have improved/changed as iOS updates have been delivered with no change on the FW of the Pioneer deck.... but the unit not starting happens even with no phone connected so pretty sure it's Pioneers fault.

Kind of disappointing that Pioneer has updated older headunits than the 4100 and no FW update to 4100 in almost a year... guess they've already abandoned it.

I get this issue occasionally with an avic f77-dab. It's actually installed in an Isuzu d-max pickup. I've noticed that it could be timing issue. If I turn the key to acc then slightly hesitate to then start the truck it can then go into that long boot up/appear to be off and take a minute or so before it starts to boot proper. If I turn the key straight through acc to start it'll come on then off and then on again into boot without issue. If I turn the key to acc and hesitate longer so unit is half booted up it'll turn off as the engine starts and then come on again and start to boot again as normal.

So it seems it could be a timing issue and there is a point in the boot process that it doesn't like being robbed of power. It is correctly wired in, in my case and has only happened a few times. If it was going to be an issue I thought about putting a switch in the acc feed to the head unit so that there was no power to head unit until truck was started and then throw the switch to allow the pioneer to boot up in peace. Seemed like a major pain to have to do that! So long as I turn the key straight to start the engine all is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, still happens after 1.53 update and as a bonus problem the BT does not upgrade on the radio as part of the update.

Dealer has agreed to replace our unit with one of the post-CES Kenwood units coming out to see if we still have the problem with a different manufacturer radio.  Pioneer really blew it with a variety of things for me including their snotty tech support.  The dealer had offered to get us into a 2016 model year Pioneer unit but we will just switch to Kenwood, they seem to also be getting good reviews on Amazon, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

My 4100 has been doing the same thing... Starts up fine most of the time, but about 30% of the time it won't turn on for 1-2 minutes, usually when I could really use the backup camera! Glad to see I'm not the only one. I did install the 1.053 update a few days ago and it has not done it since then, but I suspect the problem is still there.