AVIC411.com

Pioneer Voice Control

Hi ladies/gents.... It's been awhile since I've visited/posted....
The latest 8100NEX drew me in with Android Auto and it's capacitive screen, and convinced me to upgrade...

I'm coming from a Z110 upgraded to Z120... I held off from updating that HU to anything newer, as I thought that I read that Pioneer ditched the voice commands... Or at least some of the more useful ones.

So I upgraded to the NEX8100, and while Android Auto/CarPlay is pretty cool, I never have been a big fan of plugging in my phone EVERY SINGLE TIME I get into my car. I also uploaded all my music to Google Play Music... But now I'm worried that my costly upgrade, is now going to cost me even more in data usage with my carrier(ATT)...

Fortunately, my 2nd gen Ipod Touch works great with this new unit.... with the exception of voice commands...(change source...change artist...change song...etc)

Alright to the point... I left my current PAC-Tato... and steering wheel control interface.... Everything works fine and as expected...

But if I hold down the "VC/Talk" button, I'm granted with muted speakers, and an icon that appears to be listening, for about 15 seconds... then it grays out...
While it will do nothing but possibly make phone calls...

IS there a chance that they left the VC there.... Just not being started up at boot?
Has anyone been able to get into the service menu?

Voice control of your Bluetooth connected device (Siri or Voice Control) is activated with the SWC Voice feature. There is no Voice command of the Pioneer unit itself.

Your SWC adapter has to be programmed to send the Voice command. On the PAC RP4-HD11 the Mute function was assigned to the "Voice" button by default, the Voice function wasn't assigned to anything. I had to reprogram my PAC to change Mute to Voice before I could invoke Siri from the SWC.

One note, for at least the iPhone, it needs to be programmed as a short press, but held for a long press for Siri to activate. I first programmed a long press function to the same button as Voice, and it would not work. I could not hold it long enough to start Siri before the unit thought I wanted the long press function.