AVIC411.com

8100NEX Album Cover Art

Just swapped out my AVIC-Z2 for the new 8100NEX. I love it so far, but have a strange question. I listen to most of my music by plugging in my flash drive to the USB cable, into port 1.  While most data is always displayed, only some album cover art shows up.  When creating an album folder in windows 7, to get the album cover art to show up, all you have to do is find a .jpeg of that art and name it "Folder".  So how do I label a file in the folder of an album so that the art shows on my display screen in the Pioneer NEX units?

AFAIK for all Android OS based devices the album art has to be embedded in the file itself.

Refer to your media management software's instructions for how to do the embedding.  If you tell us what software you are using, someone may be able to tell  you how here.

I suppose my reference to Android OS overstated the situation, as it will depend on the app... some will check the folder for album art, some do not.  What I meant is that I have not seen any Pioneer or Kenwood head unit using Android as it's OS that displays album art which is a separate file in the folder when accessed directly from USB or SD.

WMP (or iTunes for that matter) does not automatically embed album art.  In fact, just the opposite.  It stores the album art as hidden image files in the folder (iTunes uses a completely separate folder structure for storing the album art).

That said, WMP will embed album art through a tedious manual process.

For example: http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/414573-how-to-embed-album-art-using-windows-media-player.

https://www.google.com/search?q=embedding%20album%20art%20in%20mp3%20with%20windows%20media%20player

There are some freeware/shareware programs available to do it automatically.  For example:

http://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/07/26/embed-cover-art-in-bulk/

Over the years I've used several methods.  A few of the automated methods helped.  In the end, I went through each album manually to check for embedded art and consistent image, resolution, etc... in MediaMonkey.  Imagine doing that with a 50,000 song library...

Thank you for that help!!  Do you by chance know if there is a limit on size for the SD card? IOW, If I load up a 64gb sd card with tunes, will the AVIC read all of it?

If you are going to use a SDCard above 32 gb, it will come formatted xfat, and you will need to delete all files, including hidden files, and format to fat32. I use a PNY 256gb SDCard and have so for 6 months or so. Warning, if you continually add and delete files on the larger reformatted sdcard, you may encounter corruption. Best thing to do is put your music on there and leave it for read only. I use my sdcard for ripped movies and converted iTunes movies(to remove the protection apple puts on them) and play the movies on the headrest monitors for the kids. My music is on solid state drive in an external usb drive hooked up to usb2, since i use iPhone. If you are using android phone, you would want to hook up drive to usb1 and phone to usb2. 

Just know that Pioneer supports up to 32 gb sdcard, because they do not support xfat, and all sdcards above 32gb are formatted xfat. 

Now that is alot of useful information! Much appreciated!! Currently my SD card slot is empty, my flash drive plugged into USB-1 via supplied cable and a cable for my phone hooked to USB-2. However, I usually just use a Bluetooth connection for my phone. Side note, my phone is the Motorola Droid Turbo running Kitkat, because they have not yet updated it to lollipop, which, I guess limits the apps and thing that one can do in my situation. Is there any advantage to plugging my phone in rather than just using the bluetooth connection?

If you are going to use a SDCard above 32 gb, it will come formatted xfat, and you will need to delete all files, including hidden files, and format to fat32. I use a PNY 256gb SDCard and have so for 6 months or so. Warning, if you continually add and delete files on the larger reformatted sdcard, you may encounter corruption. Best thing to do is put your music on there and leave it for read only. I use my sdcard for ripped movies and converted iTunes movies(to remove the protection apple puts on them) and play the movies on the headrest monitors for the kids. My music is on solid state drive in an external usb drive hooked up to usb2, since i use iPhone. If you are using android phone, you would want to hook up drive to usb1 and phone to usb2. 

Just know that Pioneer supports up to 32 gb sdcard, because they do not support xfat, and all sdcards above 32gb are formatted xfat. 

Which format setting do you suggest for someone who wants 256gb SDCard + continuously add music?

Which format setting do you suggest for someone who wants 256gb SDCard + continuously add music?

Still FAT32... but reformat the card every time you want to add files... essentially same as first time, just more files.  If your computer collection is larger than 256GB, you may want to create a directory specifically for copies of the files you put on SD... or use media management program that has a feature which copies a playlist of files to another location (which ultimately saves space usage on your 'pooter)... some even offer file format conversion and leveling on transfer.  I use the latter method via MediaMonkey.