AVIC411.com

8100NEX front buttons not working properly

Ever since I installed a screen protector/anti-glare sheet for the 8100NEX (I botched it the first time, removed it, and did it again properly), the front buttons on the 8100NEX have not worked properly. When I first powered my car on, it was as if it had a hard reset (I had to reset language and smartphone options).

But now, the front buttons do the following:

VOL - works as intended.

VOL + acts as the MAP button does
MAP acts as the HOME button does

HOME acts as if the EJECT button does

TRACK - acts as if the EJECT button does

TRACK + does nothing

EJECT does nothing.

I have reset the unit using the pin push technique, I have removed the wire harness from the head unit and let it sit for several minutes before reconnecting.

I hope that I don't need to get this repaired or replaced. I bought this from Amazon and I've heard/read that Pioneer does not honor warranties when purchased thereabouts. 

Did you use water to apply the protector?

Yes, though this was done with a small amount and away from the dash so as not to invite excess moisture. When I did this the first time, there were no issues.

Everything still works, except for the buttons on front. Thankfully I also have working steering wheel controls for the track and volume.

If any moisture were invited to the install, does this ever revert to normal?

As you know, those switches are directly below the bottom of the screen,and in the direction gravity travels. This is one of the reasons I opted for the 4100 (removable screen for cleaning).

The switches feel like the membrane type, and I'm guessing you got some water under the membrane which is shorting out some of the traces. It may evaporate and return to normal. Although if it sits in there a while it might corrode the exposed traces making for unreliable operation.

You might try a hair dryer on low around the bottom of the screen, but you may have to pull it apart and clean things up.

Did the water have any additives (soap, etc.)? That would make matters worse.

As you know, those switches are directly below the bottom of the screen,and in the direction gravity travels. This is one of the reasons I opted for the 4100 (removable screen for cleaning).

The switches feel like the membrane type, and I'm guessing you got some water under the membrane which is shorting out some of the traces. It may evaporate and return to normal. Although if it sits in there a while it might corrode the exposed traces making for unreliable operation.

You might try a hair dryer on low around the bottom of the screen, but you may have to pull it apart and clean things up.

Did the water have any additives (soap, etc.)? That would make matters worse.

A trace amount per the instructions. There were several hours between the time I applied the screen and the next time I powered things up. I might have to try taking things apart.

I'm also going to call Pioneer when they're next open for any advice on this. It was weird that there were absolutely no adverse effects the first time I tried this.

Thanks for this. I did pull the 8100NEX and run the hair dryer in the affected areas. I got the "Eject" button back, but the other buttons are doing as described above.
As the steering wheel controls work and there is a way to get to "HOME", not to mention the touch screen is still completely functional I will likely see what Pioneer says about a factory repair before going forward.

• 3 months later...

They recommended sending it in for service. But with a 3 week turnaround time, plus no guarantee that warranty would be honored, I'm half wondering if I should just seek a replacement from Amazon.

Dr. Claw: Just wanted to follow up on the results of your warranty RMA wrt to the Home Buttons not working properly.  Did they all work on your return?  hat was the turn-around time?  Did they honor the warranty?  If now, how much did it cost.  I may have to ship mine back in for the very same reason! 

• 6 years later...

i bought mine second hand no manual or remote . volume up button opened map an volume down did just that turned it down after searching for days even did the reset an updated everything with no change i was frustrated. couldnt even get to main screen as that button didnt work as it was supposed to either. but some how i finally figured it out. press an hold volume+ and |<< reverse track buttons turned my volume up. wooohoo. and forward >>| an home button together opened home screen . so happy i didnt need to spend 27$ for a remote