AVIC411.com

Backup Camera Settings Q

I've got the 4100NEX and just installed a backup camera.  The camera view doesn't come up consistently when in reverse.  There seems to be a bunch of AV and camera settings so I may have something wrong.  Which settings affect the backup camera?  May I have something turned on that I shouldn't? 

The only setting that pertains to the rear view camera, is the Rear View Camera "On or Off". How do you have your rear view camera wired? I had mine powered on by the reverse light, but changed it. Now it is powered on using switchable power(only when ignition is on). The reverse lead from the head unit is connected to the reverse wire in the OEM harness. The rear view camera supersedes all other inputs when the head unit gets a reverse signal, it will even come on before the head unit boots up, if you start the car and put in reverse before head unit even boots. This way of wiring also allows you to hit camera view while driving and you can check on trailer if you are pulling one. If it is not working consistently, there is a big chance there is a loose connection.

I wired the camera into the ground and live at the reverse lights.  I have the camera set to on.  I don't think it's a loose connect b/c, if it doesn't automatically come on, I can switch to camera view and there it is.  My first problem occurred when I would turn the car on and the back up lines with a blank screen would come on.  I fixed that by changing the polarity from ground to battery.  The next time I put the car in reverse the camera came on.  I put back in park and then back to reverse and nothing.  Go to camera view and there it is.  

I've got it working with Cameraview off, backup camera input on, and reverse gear setting at ground. However, a second set of back up lines always appears and you have to hold the mute button down for five seconds to get it out of that. Changing from ground to battery doesn't seem to help.

I've got it working with Cameraview off, backup camera input on, and reverse gear setting at ground. However, a second set of back up lines always appears and you have to hold the mute button down for five seconds to get it out of that. Changing from ground to battery doesn't seem to help.

most cameras have their own backup lines and some can be removed by cutting a wire(crimestopper cameras usually have this option), otherwise the head units own backup lines can be disabled, enabled and adjusted. The camera i have installed right now the lines are there and cannot be removed, so i just disable the Pioneer ones.

Per your suggestion, I just removed the Pioneer backup lines.  That helped.  however, itdoes not turn on the backup camera while in reverse anymore.  I don't know what happened.  Everything is fine when I go into camera view though.  I guess I'll have to set the reverse camera manually every time I want to use it.  

Just had a 4100 installed on my Sienna on Monday, plus Metra - License Plate Back-Up Camera.

I think the tech at Best Buy (don't laugh, they matched Amazon's price of $550 and I had gift cards) wired it incorrectly.

He did not connect the reverse sensor wire (magenta color, it's labeled).  So the camera turns on, but doesn't turn off.  I have to hit the X at the top right corner to go back to radio mode.  He told me this is how it works, after some searching now I know better.

Even worse, once I connect my iPhone and go to CarPlay, it doesn't show the camera no matter what.  Even when I disconnect the iPhone, it's like I don't have a backup camera.

I made a follow up appointment for this Saturday at a different Best Buy.  I didn't want to go back to the lazy tech who didn't complete the wiring as he should have.

Any advice?

Thanks for mentioning the lines can come from 2 sources, now I can turn the 2nd one off.

PS Joe - did you connect the magenta reverse sensor wire as well?  You only mentioned the "reverse lead".  I want mine to work as yours does - put it in Reverse and the backup cam should take precedent over everything.

image of wiring harness:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/Fastluck/CIMG2413.jpg

Go into to camera settings and towards the bottom you will see the option to turn off the parking assist lines.  My backup camera works great if I go to camera view manually.  The car has to be in reverse.  However, it only occasionally comes on automatically when I put the car in reverse.  I've got to have a setting messed up somewhere.  I did not install anything on the purple/white wire on the harness as my camera did not provide a wire for that and the instructions didn't call for it.  

Just had a 4100 installed on my Sienna on Monday, plus Metra - License Plate Back-Up Camera.

I think the tech at Best Buy (don't laugh, they matched Amazon's price of $550 and I had gift cards) wired it incorrectly.

He did not connect the reverse sensor wire (magenta color, it's labeled).  So the camera turns on, but doesn't turn off.  I have to hit the X at the top right corner to go back to radio mode.  He told me this is how it works, after some searching now I know better.

Even worse, once I connect my iPhone and go to CarPlay, it doesn't show the camera no matter what.  Even when I disconnect the iPhone, it's like I don't have a backup camera.

I made a follow up appointment for this Saturday at a different Best Buy.  I didn't want to go back to the lazy tech who didn't complete the wiring as he should have.

Any advice?

Thanks for mentioning the lines can come from 2 sources, now I can turn the 2nd one off.

PS Joe - did you connect the magenta reverse sensor wire as well?  You only mentioned the "reverse lead".  I want mine to work as yours does - put it in Reverse and the backup cam should take precedent over everything.

image of wiring harness:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i60/Fastluck/CIMG2413.jpg

The lead from the head unit for reverse camera is hooked up to reverse wire from the vehicle wiring harness. I had to search and find which wire it was, found it and connected it to the head unit reverse wire. Make sure the reverse camera RCA is hooked up to brown RCA on head unit. On mine, the reverse wire from the head unit is violet/white. It is hooked up to reverse wire in vehicle. Camera is powered at all times by ignition switched power. When Camera view is on you can view at anytime, with reverse setting on, camera view only comes on when in reverse. It would really help you if you went to your particular vehicle's forum and find out where the reverse wire is, locate it and wire to head unit. otherwise locate the wire going to the reverse light, tap into it and attach to reverse wire on head unit. 

Thanks, Joe.

I previously used a Magellan with a wireless backup cam, and there was a black/red wire in the tail gate that served that function.  It actually worked, too.

The Magellan GPS was awful so I replaced it with this Pioneer.

I guess they could run a wire from that red/black wire in the tailgate to the Magenta wire in the Pioneer harness, correct?

Or, perhaps better, find a similar wire on the harness up front.

Good news, I followed your advice and found the wire in the front harness - no surprised it's the same color, black and red.

So I'm going to ask the shop to connect the power source to turn on with the ignition, and the magenta wire goes to that black and red reverse wire.

That should work, right?

Huge thanks for taking the time to help...

I've got mine working, sort of.  Camera view is set to off but reverse camera input is set to on.  The polarity is set to ground.  The backup camera now comes on when in reverse.  However, when I switch to drive the camera screen stays on and you can't change inputs.  I have to hold down the mute button for five seconds to change inputs.  I tried switching the polarity back to battery but that just gets me back to where I was before.  The camera does not come up on reverse but you can get to it manually by selecting that input and shifting to reverse after that input comes up.  Any thoughts, suggestions?  This seems like a strange problem.  

The reverse camera over rules all inputs, this means that if it stays on, the reverse wire is still getting a signal. You are going to have to check and see if the reverse wire you have hooked up to the violet/white wire, in fact only is powered when in reverse, and looses power when in any other position.

I didn't hook anything up to the violet/white wire per the instructions on my camera.  It had a video cable for the back of the 4100 and then a short red wire for the power at the reverse light and a black wire for the ground at the reverse light.  Could this be my problem?