AVIC411.com

After iOS 8.4 update NEX 4100 keeps disconnecting from my iPhone

Registered here trying to get some help with this issue as Pioneer tech support are pretty much worthless (they told me to do a factory reset of my iPhone).

Ever since updating to iOS 8.4 (which also brought me Apple Music and Cloud library) my NEX-4100 randomly disconnects from my iPhone 6.  Sometimes this happens right when I plug it in, Carplay comes up but music playback won't start and eventually crashes.... other times I will be listening to music and the iPhone will simply disconnect.

I don't think this is cabling or anything else as everything had been working reasonably well following install of the stereo about a month ago.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts on what I might be able to do to resolve this?  Apple blames Pioneer and Pioneer blames Apple.... I spent a great big wad of cash getting this deck custom installed in a car that doesn't accept a double DIN stereo and now my wife is pissed.

Thanks.

Standard iPhone troubleshooting steps for non-App specific problems, testing after you do each one and stopping if it fixes it:

1. Restart the phone.

2. Use iTunes to restore the phone, including restoring the backup.

3. Use iTunes to restore the phone, excluding restoring the backup.

If it was App specific, you would delete and reinstall the App between 1 and 2

What has likely happened is that something went wrong with the 8.4 update and the software is corrupted, and the whole thing needs to be reloaded to clean it up. You probably won't need to perform step 3, as step 2 fixes most problems.

Standard iPhone troubleshooting steps for non-App specific problems, testing after you do each one and stopping if it fixes it:

1. Restart the phone.

2. Use iTunes to restore the phone, including restoring the backup.

3. Use iTunes to restore the phone, excluding restoring the backup.

If it was App specific, you would delete and reinstall the App between 1 and 2

What has likely happened is that something went wrong with the 8.4 update and the software is corrupted, and the whole thing needs to be reloaded to clean it up. You probably won't need to perform step 3, as step 2 fixes most problems.

So others have had this problem and doing a restore has fixed it?  I see open threads about the issue on Apple's forums that indicate restoring the phone did NOT resolve the problem.

Has anybody else seen this on their iPhones?

Settings->General->Carplay.

this only appears when the phone is plugged into the HU and continues to be a header even when carplay isn't connecting properly.

I had this issue happening to me constantly, on a long road trip.

I went into the "Carplay" heading, selected "Forget this car", Restarted the HU (Turned off and on the car), accepted the security message and now it seems fine again.

I'm unsure of how long this fixes the issue for, but it seemed to work the rest of the way to my destination. (1.5hrs or so, haven't tried it out today yet to see if it's still working)

Try it out, post your feedback.

Remember that the HU has to be on and the phone plugged into it to be able to see the Carplay heading under "Settings->General"

Yes thanks for the info, I had also seen a few people report that "forgetting" the HU and then re-connecting it to Carplay fixed the issue... others said it had no effect.  Apple also released iOS 8.4.1 update today and that also could possibly provide a fix to the problem.

I do wonder if Apple Music along with turning in iCloud music collection (in conjunction with this update) could have broken things.  I will turn those off as well and do some more testing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to go ahead and post an update.  I thought it would be timely based on another thread I noticed with people reporting that Carplay was acting flaky with iOS 8.4.

This is what I have tried in order to resolve the problems I am seeing which consist primarily of things going on like the head unit randomly disconnecting from my phone (didn't happen before the iOS update).... or my personal favorite, Carplay starts up (now it never auto plays my music which is annoying) I hit play on the Carplay Music screen and it acts like it is playing but there is no audio.  Disconnect my phone, wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in and about 50% of the time if I hit play I will get audio.

1. I deleted the carplay entry on my iPhone and re-connected it to the NEX4100 and then re-accepted the invitation to trust that radio so that Carplay could start up automatically even if the device is locked.

2. I wiped my iPhone out and restored it from a backup.

3. I wiped my iPhone out, set it up as a new phone and did nothing other than put a few of my playlists onto the phone.

None of this has fixed the issue.  Getting pretty frustrated at this point.  I understand others are not having issues but there appear to be enough of us that ARE having issues that something is going on.

Next step is going to be going to the shop and connecting my phone to a different head unit to see how it behaves.

Just wanted to go ahead and post an update.  I thought it would be timely based on another thread I noticed with people reporting that Carplay was acting flaky with iOS 8.4.

This is what I have tried in order to resolve the problems I am seeing which consist primarily of things going on like the head unit randomly disconnecting from my phone (didn't happen before the iOS update).... or my personal favorite, Carplay starts up (now it never auto plays my music which is annoying) I hit play on the Carplay Music screen and it acts like it is playing but there is no audio.  Disconnect my phone, wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in and about 50% of the time if I hit play I will get audio.

1. I deleted the carplay entry on my iPhone and re-connected it to the NEX4100 and then re-accepted the invitation to trust that radio so that Carplay could start up automatically even if the device is locked.

2. I wiped my iPhone out and restored it from a backup.

3. I wiped my iPhone out, set it up as a new phone and did nothing other than put a few of my playlists onto the phone.

None of this has fixed the issue.  Getting pretty frustrated at this point.  I understand others are not having issues but there appear to be enough of us that ARE having issues that something is going on.

Next step is going to be going to the shop and connecting my phone to a different head unit to see how it behaves.

The simple fact is that there are many factors that can affect a mobile device, like an iPhone. As someone who uses a iPhone Air to control a quadcopter, and also develops software, I can relate to your issues.

I have terrible cell coverage at my house and office. I also have a Verizon WiFi hotspot wired into my car, with my iPhone connecting to it automatically. When I leave my home, it connects to the hotspot, but the cell coverage sucks. This causes some issues with my CarPlay and 8000NEX connections upon startup from time to time.

Background refresh issues, automatic software updates using the cell connection and other tasks running concurrently can cause issues. There are so many things that can go wrong, is a minor miracle that it works at all.

I would start simple. Have you tried to replace the Lightning iPhone cord with a new one? Is the USB 1 wire on the back of the NEX properly seated? Check for lint into the Lightning slot on the iPhone. Believe it or not, this lint issue was causing my iPhone to disconnect from the NEX randomly. I have my phone in my pocket often, and there is lint in there.... Duh...

Thanks for replying.  I already changed the USB cable at the outlet the installer put in and it had no affect on the issue.  It could be the USB cable between the head unit and the center console but I'm a bit skeptical since the problem does not happen on 2 out of 3 iphones.

Installer had already previously offered to swap the NEX 4100 for something else such as an Alpine or Kenwood unit with Carplay so I can always just have them do that since Pioneer has zero interest in fixing the problem and hinted that FW development on NEX 4100 is done.