AVIC411.com

WIRES THAT ARE NOT HOOKED UP

nope, not important...

guide on is for an external navi unit (no idea why it is on the AVIC...)

antenna control is used as an output to your power antenna turn on (or amps, if you change the setting in the menu, but pointless to use, since the AVIC has a wire specifically for the amp turn on)

mute is for an aftermarket car phone kit, but pioneer makes their own too, which does not need to connect to that wire, so again, another pointless wire... The only usefull thing about this wire would be if you wanted to install a toggle switch to mute your radio quickly...

1) wrong, slab. guide on is used when you have the 5.1 prossesor connected.

2)correct, gold star.

3)what if i have an older motorola hands free kit, and don't want to get rid of it? that wire would become VERY important. lets not forget about those on-star installs. vital for mute to be there.

class dismissed.

yeah, sorry about the backlash, I just hate internet tough guys and people that have to be condescending to make themselves feel better. I will try and play nice! :D

I know motorola makes bt kits, I install them. he said 'older motorola hands free kit' which to me is like the ones you have to put your phone in a cradle, etc. I know that if you have a motorola, parrot, etc. BT kit, and THEN you buy the avic, it would be nice to interface the 'old' kit, but honestly, if you are spending the money for a navi unit that is BT compatible, take full advantage, and spend the extra few bucks.

just my .02 tho.

Did someone forget to take their happy pill? Honestly, if you cannot take a joke, then you need one. I was only trying to make a point as well as a laugh.

Having been in this industry for 19 years now, I have found that sometimes the best way to help someone learn something is to make them LAUGH at the situation, or themself. Not to mention it keeps my stress levels down. My reply to your post was not the first on this forum (or others for that matter) that have been lighthearted.

Internet tough guy? No. Smartazz? Probably. Listening to someone else's experiance and realizing your view is not the only one? Priceless.

Is the mute a 'ground' activated wire. Someone mentioned using the mute wire with a switch and was wondering if anyone had anymore info. Meaning, if it is grounded, does it mute the avic? And is it a switch-on/switch-off mute? Meaning a momentary switch would enable it and then the momentary switch hit again would unmute. Not sure I would ever use this, but I like to have more info in case I have the nav out again and want to add options. :)

Is the mute a 'ground' activated wire. Someone mentioned using the mute wire with a switch and was wondering if anyone had anymore info. Meaning, if it is grounded, does it mute the avic? And is it a switch-on/switch-off mute? Meaning a momentary switch would enable it and then the momentary switch hit again would unmute. Not sure I would ever use this, but I like to have more info in case I have the nav out again and want to add options. :)

If the mute wire hasn't been removed and repinned to bypass the system, then it works like this.

Avic monitors that wire when it sees that wire goto ground it mutes or attenuates the audio signal. Which depends on the setting. The avic will continue to mute/att the audio until it sees that ground signal removed from the mute wire. So if you wish to hook a switch to it, then you'll need a togggle switch.