AVIC411.com

Optimum Video file type for nex

I am converting some DVD concert vids to use on my thumb drive and am wondering if there is any preference you all prefer. I just don't like having a bunch of DVD's laying around my truck.

I am looking for an optimized video format that gives a good picture on the small 6000nex screen while still having decent quality without using anymore file space than nesc. ALso, the audio format needs to be the best I can get. The converter I am using is called Any Video Converter and it will do pretty much any format.

Just curious what you all use. Thanks!

The thing you have to understand for video with sound is the video and audio are separately encoded then put in a file "wrapper" such as *.avi, *.mp4, *.mkv, etc.

For audio, if you want it to be the best it can be, don't convert it... as long as it'll play in your NEX.

Convert video to AVC/MPEG4/h.264.   Those are three names for the same video encoding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

See Video files compatibility (USB, SD) chart in the Operation Manual Appendix.

I recall reading somewhere that the NEX will tolerate some encoding outside what is stated in that chart, but I do not recall the specifics.  If the chart is accurate, you'll have to downsize your video.

Of the 4 audio codecs listed in that chart, LPCM is the best because it is uncompressed.  Even if original is compressed, LCPM is what you get when it is decoded.  Of those compatible, AAC is second best IMO.

If you do convert the audio...and the DVD audio is surround sound ....convert it to stereo.  I don't know if the NEX units can read surround sound encoding on USB/SD, but if they can, there's no point because all you get out of a NEX unit is stereo anyway.  Surround sound encoding can take up more storage space than stereo encoding, with no realized audio improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a F960BT, in USA It´s called NEX5000. I watching movies and videos in .mkv format with 1920x1080 and no compression sound.

So, the lenght of the files are up to 6GB and the pen drive has 128gb (NTFS format).

I hope  the information be usefull.

Hi, I have a F960BT, in USA It´s called NEX5000. I watching movies and videos in .mkv format with 1920x1080 and no compression sound.

So, the lenght of the files are up to 6GB and the pen drive has 128gb (NTFS format).

I hope  the information be usefull.

Nice to know... but FWIW, you will never see 1920x1080 on an 800x480 pixel screen.  Unless you also view these movie files on other higher resolution screens, saving files at that resolution just wastes space on your thumb drive.  You could probably get your files down to 3GB or lower with no loss in viewing quality on the NEX unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just download videos off of youtube with 9xbuddy, in 360p mp4 format to keep videos files small or 720p with larger flashdrives or the sd card. When I'm feeling lazy I use free youtube downloader to download whole playlists. You may also have some luck with using handbrake and divx converter for dvd's. I just click on divx mobile and everything comes out looking great.