AVIC411.com

8200 USB & HDMI questions with iPhone

Hey folks,

I just picked up an 8200NEX to be installed by the local shop later this week, but I have some questions so that I can be prepared going in.  I understand the unit comes with a single USB extension cable.  Presumably this will connect to the USB1 input on the back for Apple CarPlay.  Questions:

1. Assuming I have no intention of connecting an android phone, can I still make use of the second USB input? What benefit might this serve me?  E.g., could I use this to charge a second device?  

2. What happens if I have two devices connected at the same time (say an iPhone to USB1 and an iPod to USB2)?  Will the system freak out or will I simply have additional options of what I wish to use?

3. Do I require any specific type of cable, or any old 6ft USB extension cable will work?

4. To make use of the HDMI mirroring, can I use any hdmi cable?  

5. Could I use the second USB port to charge while using HDMI?

Thanks,

Scott

Congrats! I'm the proud owner of an 8200 as well. I took a fist full of cables and had the installer run them all to my glove box for future use. This included a RCA (for video), HDMI, both usb's, and the aux. I haven't yet tried the hdmi, or plugging in two phones at once. I did see a you-tube video on getting a hdmi splitter so you can mirror, but haven't tried that yet either.

Watch this:

Hope this helps,

-PH