AVIC411.com

D3 or Z2?

I like how the Z2 is all screen, but am afraid of the lockup issues people complain about (apparently due to heat?).. I live in southern california.. trying to decide whether to go with a D3 or a Z2..

If any of the options/modules are different between the two.. I'll definitely need:

Bluetooth for my phone

Back-up camera

XM Radio and XM Traffic

Any feedback on this decision?

Thanks!

-Brett

major differences are screen size and hard drive. if you get the z2 it is hard drive based nav so you dont have to have the nav dvd in unit to do nav things. d3 is dvd based nav so you must have the dvd in to do nav things. as far as the d3 goes its awesome with the ipod, and color changing to match most vehicles lights and easier to bypass. the biggest deciding factor for me and why i got the z2 is the navigation part. it also has 10 gig extra hard drive space for storing music and (knock on wood) has fully operated out the box with no problems.

Lockup issues on the Z2 are fixed via a firmware update that Pioneer released on Friday.

With that being said, I went with the D3 because of the ipod interface, the price, and the fact that I don't watch movies while I drive. If you need the bigger screen, voice activation, the music storage, dual zone capability, ect. go with the Z2. If not, save yourself some cash and get a D3

P.S. The bluetooth is better on the D3 too

The hard drive music storage in the Z2 isn't really all that great, either. You can only put music on it by inserting an audio CD in the unit and ripping it straight to the hard drive (meaning you have to own the actual CD). You can't just put in a disk or USB device with a bunch of mp3's on it and transfer the files over, which is kind of a pain in the ass. For the $1200 you save by going with the D3, you can pay out $250 or so for an ipod and the cable and have something far superior to the Z2's music storage capabilities, with a lot more storage space for far less money. That way, you can just leave the nav DVD in the drive, which pretty much takes care of most of the D3's shortcomings compared to the Z2.