AVIC411.com

INSTALL HELP? D3 into 2006 Audi A4

Hey everyone, Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :wink:

I'm building up a stockpile of all the parts I need to install my D3 into my 2006 Audi A4.

Background info:

-I'm coming from a Symphony II without bose.

-I have the Metra 70-1787 harness.

-Also have the PAC_SWI_PS setup as well.

-Ipod cable is on its way

-As is the "Pioneer ADTVA133 Double Din Installation Kit"

-I have a ballin a$$ face/trim plate in the works too.

Problems/Questions:

-I did a little test fit the other day and found that my factory AM/FM antenna cable won't connect to the back of the D3.... Do I need an adapter? Which one?

-There is another cable connected to the back of the SymphonyII and it resembles the GPS port on the back of the D3. Is this the factory GPS cable? Can I use it? Or would it be better to just leave it unhooked and use the antenna that came with the D3?

-With the harnesses, Do I just match the colors of the wires of the D3's harness's to those of the Metra harness? (e.g. Yellow to Yellow, Blk to Blk etc)

-Also whats the best way to join those wires together?

Please hook me up with any info you can. I would like to do a writeup on this later on. I will probably have more questions later.

TIA again,

Dylan

• 1 month later...

You'll need an amplified antenna, but there are two different types. There is the small plug, and the large plug (around 1/2 inch dia.) I have an early release 2006 A3, and it was the large adapter. I think the new cars have the smaller plug.

I went to my local stereo shop for it, since I had no luck getting it on eBay. Remember, it needs to be amplified.

Oh, as for the wiring, I had a friend help with this, since many wires are not used. My Audi uses CANbus for the car's communication with the radio.

Therefore, I had to find wires in the fuse box to make the proper connections. Like, the power on and off with the ignition, and the VSS, which is the blue wire with a white strip coming out of the ABS harness in the left kick panel.

I think I have to rig a switch so I can listen/watch the AVIC while the car is off, since my car has no acc switch; yours may be the same.