AVIC411.com

Advice Needed....

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
Has anyone tried installing the Z1 in 2000 Jaguar S-type. I recently got rid of my DDX 7015 and DV4100 combo from KenwoodI had problems connecting the VSS wire to the system. When the installer finally found it, most of the functions became available, but the navigation would continuously get off track and never return.

There may be some reasons for this though:

1. I bought the entire system used from a friend that wrecked his truck. The system seemed to come out unscathed.

2. I had the GPS antenna mounted at the far left corner of the driver side dash. Right under the windshield. However, I have 5% metallic tint around the sides and back of my car.

So, Im in a dilemma. I really want to Pioneer Avic-Z1. But I have already purchased the new Kenwood 6019 and G510 bc they do not require a vss hookup. I am thinking about returning it and trying out the Pioneer Z1. Does anyone know whether or not this setup will work with the S-type? And is anyone 100% sure of the VSS location?
I don't know anything about the S-type jag, but I can tell you that the VSS wire is not 100% required. It will work fairly well without it. For optimum accuracy they say you need to hook it up and when I finally found mine I hooked mine up, but I drove around for months with no VSS and it was fine.

And I just moved my GPS antenna inside the car, and UNDER the dash. Totally stealth. With that I get ok signal strength, and with the VSS wire hooked up as well, my location on the nav system is 100% accurate down to +/- 10 feet or so. I don't know about your metalic tint in your car though.
metallic tint could affect your reception. You might try and find a better location.

The S type Jag is a Lincoln LS with different body panels. Seriously. The factory radio should have speed sensitive volume...and that puts a VSS wire right to the radio. Now, the interior panels are a little different on the S type, but there are several LS's running around with a Z1. They fit just fine...but it's tight! Not a lot of room behind the head unit.
what kind of trunk does the jag have? you might want to run the antennea all the way back there and stick it on the trunk. Its a very small antenea and the cable they give you is long enough. If you have a spoiler you can hide it around that, or somewhere close to the hinges or next to the window. Just a thought
If you want the most accurate solution, get a system that uses the VSS (it's there in your S-Type). By combining the regular updates with dead-reckoning and the internal gyroscope, the nav system always has at least a best guess at where you are, even between updates from the satellites.

That brings up another point, even though the unit you bought from your buddy appeared fine, if the impact from the accident was severe enough, there is a really good chance the gyroscope was damaged, which would explain why your system had a hard time tracking your location accurately.
[quote name="skicrave"]That brings up another point, even though the unit you bought from your buddy appeared fine, if the impact from the accident was severe enough, there is a really good chance the gyroscope was damaged, which would explain why your system had a hard time tracking your location accurately.[/quote]

That's a darn good point!!