AVIC411.com

Kenwood PNAV6019 vs Pioneer AVIC Z1

Guest guest

Guest guest
Trying to decide between Kenwood PNAV 6019(includes the g510 and the ddx 6019) and the Avic -Z1. Im sure i will get rather biased opinions, but has anyone seen both of these in action? What are the pros and cons of each one in relation to the other? I already purchased the PNav6019, but am thinking of switching out and getting the Avic. One thing i have heard about is that the G510 looks rather cartoony...I havent seen it, but I know that I would not like that....
My cousin just installed the 510 on a 7017 which is a very similar head unit to the 6019. I'll see if he'll snap some pictures of it, and I'll post them.

My friend has the 7017 and the 4100 DVD nav system, and it works very well. I actually almost ordered the same combo you're considering, but once you get the music keg for the Kenwood, it costs virtually the same as the Pioneer, and space is a big issue in my car--Acura Integra. That's what made the decision for me since the Pioneer is an all-in-one system.
I had the 7015 (predecessor to the 717 and 6019) with the 4100 nav piece in a previous car. It was a very nice setup, but I honestly don't think it can touch the Z1 in terms of flexibility. The nicest thing about the Kenwood nav is that it is the first aftermaket integrated nav system to announce support for ClearMedia's TMC based traffic info (a free traffic announcement system that Europe has had for a decade).

The Z1 has a much better design though, both in terms of UI and the look of the actual unit, it's more square compared to the Kenwood systems.

If all you want is a solid multimedia headunit with navigation, I'm sure the Kenwood package would do the job. If you're an early adopter and want the lastest of what is available in mobile electronics, then the Z1 is the piece for you. With iPod, NavTraffic and Bluetooth support, it's got everything that is readily available right now.
[quote name="skicrave"]I had the 7015 (predecessor to the 717 and 6019) with the 4100 nav piece in a previous car. It was a very nice setup, but I honestly don't think it can touch the Z1 in terms of flexibility. The nicest thing about the Kenwood nav is that it is the first aftermaket integrated nav system to announce support for ClearMedia's TMC based traffic info (a free traffic announcement system that Europe has had for a decade).

The Z1 has a much better design though, both in terms of UI and the look of the actual unit, it's more square compared to the Kenwood systems.

If all you want is a solid multimedia headunit with navigation, I'm sure the Kenwood package would do the job. If you're an early adopter and want the lastest of what is available in mobile electronics, then the Z1 is the piece for you. With iPod, NavTraffic and Bluetooth support, it's got everything that is readily available right now.[/quote]

If you wanted one strickly for navigation purposes and the accuracy of it, which one would you get? Compared to any navigation system out there.
I have the Alpine navigation in my Acura and the Z1 in my Aviator. The Acura is all factory, so the integration is very very good. The voice recognition is more intuitive. But the mapping doesn't seem to be any better. Two big draw backs to the Alpine...it's DVD based and is MUCH slower to calculate, etc. And (2) although it has XM radio, it does not have XM Navtraffic. HUGE MISTAKE!! The Navtraffic in the Z1 is the best thing since sliced bread and if you have it available for where you live, it should be considered a "must have". It has saved my butt many times from huge traffic jams. All in all...I prefer the Z1 to the factory Alpine in the Acura.

By the way...I have the Acura TL...I understand the RL does have Navtraffic. Stupid to not have it in both.
If I was shopping strictly for navigation accuracy, I would choose Alpine. They've been doing this the longest, and they use Navteq for their cartography, which is much better than TeleAtlas. While some of their OEM systems don't have as much detail as the Z1, all of their aftermarket systems have the highest detail available.

That said, between the two, I anticipate the Z1 having better navigation accuracy and response because of the amount of data that is used, and also because it uses VSS for dead-reckoning between sat. updates.