AVIC411.com

Noob question: Avic Z-1 in a 2002.5 Mazda Protege ES?

Ok [url=http://www.crutchfield.com]www.crutchfield.com[/url] say the Avic Z-1 won't fit. Best Buy says it will fit. While Crutchfield is probably the more credible source, that's not the answer I want. :D

Does anyone know if an Avic Z-1 can fit a 2002.5 Protege ES?
Didn't see anything at [url=http://www.installer.com]www.installer.com[/url] . . . .any other resources?

I have asked a friend to build a block of wood in the same dimensions as Pioneers published dimensions and am going to pull the OEM HU and see if I can fit the block of wood in there. If I can, then next step would be to purchase the Z-1 and figure out how to mount it.
Because Crutchfield really pushes the DIY aspect, their fitment guide makes things as simple as possible. Technically the opening in your car is not designed to receive a headunit that uses the DIN style mounting method, so they say it won't work.

In reality, it will work just fine, but you'll need to either purchase a double DIN install sleeve, or use the included mounting brackets to ISO mount the Z1 in your dash.
skicrave . . . .that makes sense to me. Btw, is that "skicrave" as in "ski crave" as in "craving some skiing"? Water or snow?

Ok, next set of questions: what is "iso mount" (yes, I'm clueless) as opposed to sleeve mounted? I think I know what sleeve mounted would mean (crutchfield or whoever provides a sleeve that goes in the DIN opening, and then the Avic Z-1 mounts to the sleave, right?
I've grown up waterskiing and snow skiing, so yep, that's where the name comes from.

ISO mount is what some manufacturers use to secure the headunit to the car, and it entails a set of brackets that secure to the sides of the headunit and then bolt directly to the dash. Typically that is performed before the trim bezel of the dash pops on which covers all of the mounting hardware and sets the reveal of the headunit.

As long as the opening is double DIN sized and the aftermarket headunit support DIN sleeve mounting (which the Z1 does) you can use that method to install. I know Pioneer offers a double DIN sleeve kit but I don't know the part number and last time I checked it was back ordered. A DIN sleeve from any manufacturer will work though (Kenwood, Alpine, etc.). The sleeve slides into the dash, then you bend out some tabs to hold it in place, and the headunit slides into the sleeve and locks in place.