AVIC411.com

Squeaky wheel get oiled at Pioneer? - Replies from Pioneer

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics.

It seems as though you are speaking on two different issues here.

The mapping UPGRADE is available for purchase from our parts department. An upgrade is will include new streets, freeways, or any other mapping information that Tele Atlas has gained. The costs of the discs are set forth by Tele Atlas for their licensing fees. Tele Atlas nor Pioneer claim to have covered the entire United States for navigation. There may be some locations that are not available.

An UPDATE is created only when necessary to change an operation of the unit. Updates do not change map data. The only firmware updates that are available for the AVIC-Z1 at this time are for the freezing issue and another for echo's present while using bluetooth.

Thank You,

Teresa

Customer Service Representative

Teresa,

I find this all very unacceptable and have made it known on more than one occasion that I am disappointed in having a unit in my vehicle that is unpredictable about street addresses in my area, my home address not in the database and some streets do not have the correct address. I'm very disappointed in being led to believe that I would be sent an update disk for mapping data then to find out that is not the case. Had I known that originally I would have returned the unit and went with another product from a company that the manufacturer would stand behind and support and one that had up to date mapping information.

Further I feel like Pioneer is misleading the public in light of the recent fiasco with these expensive units freezing up due to hot weather and having to send out a patch to hundreds of people. As a computer software analyst for the life of me I cannot fathom how updating the software can affect how a unit responds in high temperatures. I personally think Pioneer should recall the defective units and either replace or repair them.

I suppose now in order for me to get updated mapping information I have to purchase the product from Pioneer and still have no guarantee that is has accurate map information. What was the point in me being issued a case if the complaint was never followed up on and when I inquire I am mislead?

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Your case was created to inform the mapping company of information that was requested by a consumer to be added to the next mapping upgrade. You are welcome to call in and speak with our product support department to find out if the information you are concerned about has made it onto the newest upgrade.

As far as the problems with the unit freezing, we have addressed the issue with a software update. It is a conclusive fix created by our Service Engineers.

Thank You,

Teresa

Customer Service Representative

Teresa,

I have called in at least twice to your customer service departments and got the run around and no straight answers. The answers to my question change with everyone I talk to. I have no desire to talk with anyone in your product support team unless they are contacting me to explain why my unit was sold with an obsolete database to begin with.

Sure there is a fix for the unit freezing with your software update. I saw today where Pioneer put a disclaimer with that firmware update they are not responsible if anyone installs the fix and don’t achieve the desired results by following the instruction to download and install it as instructed. Funny that the consumer has to be responsible for addressing a defect in a product that should have been recalled when the issue was first noticed.