AVIC411.com

avic D1 rear camera problem/fuzzy black display intermittent

I installed a avic D1 in my 2007 Tundra, I used a ipod ib100 interface and an audiovox license plate rear camera. now and again when putting my truck into reverse, the pioneer switches to the rear camera input, and the screen or picture gets scrambled. this problem is intermittent. I thought it was the camera or the connections, so i purchased another new camera and re-installed everything again. I contacted Pioneer, they told me to remove the nav and ship it to them for repairs at a cost of 200 dollars. My concern is that because the problem is intermittent, they will miss the problem and charge me 200 dollars for nothing. anybody have any advice on what would cause this problem? and any recomendations?

Try using an outside source for video, like dragging your XBox out of the house. Hook up the video out from the XBox or Playstation or a portable DVD into the camera input on your D1, then place the vehicle in reverse (with the parking brake engaged and the key in the run position, but NOT RUNNING - don't wanna hear about your mangled pet or garage renovation project later.....) Now check your video, and wiggle all your connections. If all seems well, the camera or its cable are to blame. If you still have the video problem, well, you know what to do....

Double-check with an outside video source before you send your AVIC out for repair, some of the reverse cameras on the market have a weak video output signal, and many newer vehicles (esp. Chrysler products) will not handle having the camera's power lead being tapped into the reverse light wire. You should always pull your rear-view camera's power supply from a viable power source, i.e., the fusebox or ignition harness....