AVIC411.com

how the hell do I mount in VW passat!! No kit around!!

The bracket (cage) fit in the dash opening nicely. The two brackets that you screw onto the size of the z1 cause the bracket to bulge out a bit though. The z1 slides in nicely until it hits those two screwed on brackets, then i needed to genly pry on each side with a screwdriver and push like hell to get it all the way in.

You are right about all the extra plastic in there, getting rid of it makes life easier. I left the bottom and top pieces in and I managed to drive screws through the bracket and into the plastic. That made a big difference in the stability of the unit since not many of the the teeth you bend out grabbed hold.

I still havent figured out what I am going to do about the trim ring. I bought the trim for the d1/d2 because the pioneer techs told me it would work but it doesnt. Right now I am still driving around trimless, I have been too lazy to figure out a good way to use the piece of crap trim piece they provide with the unit.

Dustin
I'd love to know what posessed Pioneer to sell this expensive head without trim or mounting sleeve?? What saved them no more than a couple of $$ causes customers to spend big bucks by having to take it to a professional shop or possibly winding up with something far from perfect. In another thread here, a profi shop spent an entire day to install one in a VW.

My D1 was an easy install. The D1 had the same tight fit getting past those same two screws but that's just an inconvience. When the unit was stolen the scumbags also took the sleeve with them or I could just slide the Z1 in. First though I'll have to find a way to make the whole thing more secure.
[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/3176/passatbreakin402smallwn8.jpg[/img]
I screwed the sleeve to the plastic on the underside and the top. Because the clearance was too tight to fit even the angle drill I had, I used a hot nail to make the pilot hole and then I used one of those s shaped screwdrivers to screw them in. I bet you could use a small rivet gun though, that would be even more secure.
I dont see how you could make it too hard to remove though since you dont even need a key to get it out, just a tiny phillips screwdriver.

Dustin
[quote name="Anonymous"]there is no double din kit for the VW !!! Thats the problem .. Can anyone prove me wrong :) thanks[/quote]

check out enfig.com

i put a D1 (double din) into my GLI (needed to fab a trim ring, as the one from pioneer sucked) but all in all very happy with the end result